Deserts and Rivers. Part three

Pidge pulled the handle and brought the shower to life, allowing the hot water to hit her skin. It ran down her face, through her hair and over her shoulders.

Matt was right, this was a good idea.

She squeezed her eyes shut tighter, taking in a deep breath.

For a moment, her head was cleared.

Carding her fingers through her wet hair, Pidge opened her eyes.

The bathrooms in the Garrison were another reminder that she was home. Earth. Those Altean showers were not easy to use, that was a fact. There were too many dials and oddly located shower curtains. In Pidge's opinion, they were nothing more than an unfortunate example of bad manufacturing. A surprise considering how elegant the rest of Altean mechanics was.

Maybe plumbing wasn't their strong point?

Rubbing shampoo through her hair, Pidge's attention was drawn to the cuts on her knuckles. They stung irritably in the hot water, something that was not helped by the addition of shampoo.

Pidge winced, but the pain wasn't unbearable.

Washing it out of her hair was a quick process, as was adding her conditioner. But conditioner required waiting time, and waiting time meant she had time to think.

Lance.

Pidge chewed on her bottom lip as she stared thoughtfully up at the ceiling.

Had her outburst of emotion actually served a purpose, or was it just another way in which she'd humiliated herself in front of a guy who she pined for?

She couldn't tell.

Several different moments passed through her head at once, turning the look on her face into an oddly formed grimace.

All of this could have been avoided if Lance had picked up on her flirting. Although... she couldn't guarantee that he'd have taken her advances too well. A heavy sigh escaped Pidge's lips. She'd have expected 'loverboy' Lance of all people to recognise flirting.

Pidge narrowed her eyes in thought.

Okay maybe a backhanded compliment wasn't the best way to initiate romance... but Pidge had never been that good at interacting with people anyway.

Technology she was good at.

Technology couldn't run off with your heart and go chasing after beautiful women. She always found that rather endearing.

Pidge smiled to herself, but her brows still frowned. Then her smile faded. It was only now that she realised what she'd actually said to Lance.

I love him?

No surely not...

It's- it's just a crush. I got carried away.

Yeah that's it.

With one last rinse of her hair, Pidge shut off the water. The silence in the room was deafening.

Stepping out of the shower, Pidge reached for her towel. As she padded through to her room, rubbing her hair furiously in her towel, her mind wandered back to Lance. She noted it as one of the side effects of having a crush.

She had become unbearably aware of the other 'side effects' over the past year. Pidge would find Lance drifting between her thoughts as she was having a conversation. When she was lonely, Pidge would recall all of the good times they had shared these past years. The sound of his voice.