That white dress

Lance heart was beating a mile a minute, he could barely hear himself think through it's thunderous noise.

The room was full.

Blinking several times, his gaze settled onto the sea of relatives and friends alike all dressed in an array of coloured dresses and suits. The colours made his already nauseated head swim, accompanied by his twisting gut.

Smile Lance, He though to himself, a fruitless attempt to stop himself from becoming overwhelmed.

Lance took in a stuttering breath, the cool air hitting the back of his throat and driving another exhale out of his lungs.

Out of the corner of his eye, Lance could see Hunk, Shiro and Keith. He turned to face them, and was met by Keith giving him a weak smile. Lance had spoken of nothing but this day for the past three weeks, Keith was probably glad to have it over and done with simply for the notion of another conversation topic.

Lance smiled to himself. They looked like rather awkward penguins with the way they were standing in their matching suits.

Across from him, he could see Matt and Coleen. Coleen looked amazing, her delicate floral dress and decorated hat hid her true age beautifully. And Matt looked so smart... and so proud... It pulled another smile onto Lance's lips trembling lips.

It's okay. You can do this.

Another deep breath entered Lance's lungs through his nostrils, drawing in the musty smell of the old Town Hall they were in. The building may have been aged, but the pale green ribbons and dainty fairy lights that hung from the ceiling masked it well. Lance was pleasantly surprised they managed to fit everyone into such a small venue, but nevertheless, it was perfect.

Where is she? She should be here by now.

Music filled Lance's ears, causing his heart to leap into his mouth. The beads of sweat that dusted his brow threatened to roll down Lance's face as his throat dried up.

It was time.

He felt himself turn, his eyes flickering in every direction for any sign that she was entering the room. After a moment, they found the entrance, and more importantly, her.

His lungs forgot how to breathe.

There she was, on the arm of a suited Sam Holt. Her hair was longer than it had been in their early days, and now sat just below her shoulders. Her hair was curled loosely, the side pinned back. Even the strands that fell in front of her face had ever so perfectly placed curls in them.

Her laced veil was draped gently over have face.

Behind it sat her eyes.

Those endless honey coloured eyes that Lance had fallen for many times over. Those eyes that made his stomach twist in impossible directions. They glittered in the dappled fairy lights, visible even through her veil.

Her makeup was subtle, only just fading the freckles on her face.

Lance had counted every single one.

His eyes snaked down to her body, followed swiftly by painful butterflies tearing at his lungs.

Her dress.

It was strapless, accentuating her perfect collar bones and shoulders, also dusted with freckles. The dress sat so delicately on her hips, where it flowed out into a laced skirt that stopped just below her knees. Lance's eyes danced across her figure, her petite frame hiding underneath the white material.

She was a masterpiece.

To his right, Lance heard Hunk erupt into tears, his snivelling echoed off the walls of the building. The next sound to hit him was Shiro's comforting chuckle as he handed Hunk a tissue. Yet still, Lance's gaze stuck firmly on the the small woman at the end of the aisle.

He could see her eyes darting around the room nervously, almost as if she was searching for something.

I'm here Katie.

To Lance, the world stopped along with his heart as their eyes met. If it hadn't been involuntary, his heart probably wouldn't have started again after that moment. Her name sat comfortably on his lips, a small smile breaking on them as she grinned back at him.

Katie.

Seconds dragged before she removed her gaze from Lance to cast a glance at her mother, who had several tissues already in her grasp. Lance turned his attention to her father. The look on Sam's face spoke more than a thousand words, all of which would probably be said later in his speech.

Lance caught his eye and forced a broken smile. Sam returned with a proud grin, tears glazing over his aged eyes.

It was then that Lance realised he had involuntarily moved his hand to his chest, his fingers pulling at the material of his shirt in an attempt to calm his frantic heartbeat.

He watched as she walked further up the aisle, a notable tremble in her hands as the nerves finally hit her. The bouquet of lillies shook in her small hands, timed perfectly with her quivering lips.

Almost there Katie. You can do this.

Lance's blue eyes focused in on her eyes as she got closer, mesmerised by the amount of adoration they held for the man before her.

He never wanted to pull his gaze away.

So that was where it stayed, even after she'd walked past him and taken her place across from her fiancé at the other end of the aisle.

...

Just keep on smiling Lance.

(I sincerely apologise for the plangst)