Trash Talk

"Sloppy shot Pidge"

The green paladin had a split second to glower in the direction of the comment, before she ploughed her blade into the body of another alien.

"I hardly think you have the right to say anything about my shot, Lance. It was you're shooting that got us into this mess."

"Was not! Besides I'm sure it'll get us out of it too," Lance replied, the confidence in his voice was in no way subtle. Pidge pinched the bridge of her nose, before turning her attention back to the shapes that drew nearer.

The creatures they faced resembled Earth's very own Mantis Shrimp. The main differences between the two was that these things had 4 pairs of eyes, were 100 times as big, and had extremely pronounced mandibles, (The latter of which Pidge was currently trying to avoid like the plague). They had been stuck fighting off this horde of aliens after Lance had foolishly walked into an occupied nest, and fled yelling after accidentally shooting their queen.

Several shots skimmed past Pidge's head as Lance took down three more of the creatures. Dust clouds erupted as their huge bodies hit the earth, distorting the paladins field of view. Before Pidge could blink the dirt from her eyes, Lance took another shot. The blast sent the targeted creature falling just short of her feet, forcing a yelp out of her lungs.

"Are you trying to kill me?!" She hooted, her eyes burning beneath her furrowed brows. Lance's light chuckling rang in her ears.

"Now why would I do that?" Lance teased, slinging his gun onto his shoulder. Pidge huffed loudly, placing her hands on her hips, her irritation unmistakable.

"So you'd get to do these missions with people you actually like," Pidge retorted, her gaze fixed on the horizon.

"Like who?"

Pidge felt herself smirk, "Allura for one."

Lance mimicked being shot, his hand clutching his chest as he laughed.

"You know Allura would never play games like this," He replied, chewing on the inside of his lip.

"Hey it was your idea to turn this into a bet, which by the way, I'm still winning at." Pidge pressed her finger into Lance's chest plate, blowing a laugh through her nose. Lance scrunched up his face, scowling down at the Green Paladin.

"Are not! My kill count is totally higher than yours!"

Pidge shifted her weight as she readied herself for the next lot of creatures she saw approaching, ignoring the burning sensation on her cheeks. Lance rolled his eyes lazily, taking up his stance beside her to continue their fight. Five more aliens bounded towards them, swiftly making contact with the ground as a result of Lance's sniper.

"Remind me again why we're doing this," Lance strained, his finger secured onto the trigger of his gun. Pidge twisted her body to look up at him, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose.

"Because the Ontodians need these things gone, they keep eating their eggs so their population is crashing and-"

Lance waved his hand at her, "Explain later we've got incoming,"

Pidge clicked her tongue irritably as she gutted another alien. "You know, I wouldn't have to explain if you actually listened in the first place."

A small laugh escaped through Lance's nose. "Yeah, but I prefer listening to your voice rather than, er... What was his name again?"

Pidge wrinkled her nose and brows in unison, "Are you trying to distract me with flattery, McClain?"

Lance adorned an outrageously roguish grin as he caught the eye of the green paladin, dropping a wink in her direction that made Pidge's stomach pull in an implausible direction.