Slow dances under Red

"One last circuit"

Pidge huffed aloud, wiping the beading sweat from her forehead. She'd been adjusting the cloaking mechanism on Green for the past hour. For some reason, the cloaking hadn't been cooperating. Yet now she was done, only just retaining the last string of her sanity.

With a heavy sigh, Pidge sat back on her heels to admire her handiwork. The small smile tugging at the corner of her mouth grew wider, and a sharp clang rung in her ears as she threw her spanner into the tool box.

"For someone so small, you sure make a lot of noise," Pidge had heard him approaching from the other side of the hangar, so didn't flinch when Lance announced his presence.

"Little people have to be heard somehow, Lance" Pidge said casually, looking over her shoulder. Her eyes fell upon the unmistakable slender silhouette draped onto the front paw of her lion.

Lance scoffed, "I'm surprised you haven't built some sort of a permanent megaphone yet," He lifted his head, blue eyes scanning the face of the Green paladin.

"What are you doing down here anyway? Cause I know you didn't come here to talk mechanics with me." Pidge raised an eyebrow at him, getting to her feet. Lance carded his fingers through his hair, a slight smile on his lips.

"Actually I come down here to chill with Red." Lance answered honestly, casting a glance across at his lion. "We listen to music together,"

Pidge scrunched up her nose, padding over to Lance's side.

"We?" She questioned, her eyes hinting at her curiosity. Lance felt his stomach flip. It happened every time she looked at him like that, like she was staring through to his core and reading him like a book.

"Y-yeah," he spluttered, feeling heat rising in his cheeks. "I play some of the songs I have on my phone and Red seems to enjoy them." He watched as Pidge's expression changed from mild excitement to full on intrigue.

"Could I see?" Her voice was barely louder than a whisper. Lance blinked a few times, peering down at the Green paladin.

"You want to see?" He said, his voice thick with confusion as he held Pidge's gaze. Pidge nodded her head vigorously, a wide grin on her lips.

"I would love to measure if there are fluctuations in electromagnetic energy produced by the Lion when it hears music!" She blurted, her mouth barely keeping up with her words. Lance nodded his head as he 'listened' to her science jargon, pretending to hear every word when in reality all sound was oblivious to him.

He was instead studying her features. He adored the face she would make when she was excited, especially when it was science centred. Her cheeks glowed, her eyes shimmered and the movement of her lips became almost melodic.

"Lance are you coming?" Pidge yanked him back into reality, causing his head to jolt in her direction. She'd already made her way towards Red, gently pulling on the hem of his sleeve.

"Y-yep. Right behind you,"

Pidge pulled the Cuban boy towards the lion, and was met by the gentle purr of Red as they reached her paw. Lance reached out and placed a hand on it, flinching as he made contact with the cold metal. He could hear her welcoming thoughts in the back of his mind, steadying his chest.

"Hey Red"

When Lance finally looked over at Pidge, she had already proceeded to set up her laptop on the floor.

"Play a song then," she said impatiently, the screen of her laptop reflected perfectly in her glasses.

Lance felt himself reaching for his phone, and scrolled through the few songs that he'd downloaded what seemed like deca-phoebs ago. He couldn't quite focus on the names of the songs, and had no idea what he was going to play. Lance highly doubted that he and Pidge shared a music taste.