The Queen of Wishful Thinking

((It's a long one lmao))

"Happy birthday, Shiro!"

The sound of their bottles clinking was drowned out by the music coming the stereo. They were already several drinks in, and Pidge could feel buzz of the alcohol heating her chest. The rest of the former Paladins were equally influenced, the blush on their cheeks undeniable.

Even Keith.

It was Shiro's 31st birthday (Well technically his birthday was 3 days away, but nobody could meet for a drink on a Monday night) and the Paladins had gathered at Shiro's beach house. Shiro had insisted on not having a party, adamant that a small reunion with his friends would suffice. Now, the group found themselves sat around the dining room table, Keith telling a story of his humanitarian adventures.

Pidge exhaled loudly, taking a sip of her drink. She hadn't see everyone in so long, it was nice to feel their presence rather than just seeing a screen. Pidge had been sat for a while picking out all the little details the camera had missed, eyes wandering between the men. Hunk had grown a small beard, as had Shiro. Keith's ponytail had now passed his shoulders, and Lance...

Well the camera gave a sparkle to his eyes that didn't seem to be there now. He was smiling, yes. But there was something so unnatural about it. The Altean marks on his cheeks had begun to fade.. Or was that just the alcohol?

Usually the woman would only allow herself to spare him a glance, but intoxication was promoting a certain 'neglect' for her rules. Lance was listening intently to Keith's story, Hawaiian shirt blowing gently in the evening breeze. His hair moved with it, glinting orange in the fire light. A light so warm, it almost seemed to remove the markings from his fade. Although, that may have been the booze. Catching herself staring, Pidge frowned hard, shifting her gaze and attention back to Keith just in time to hear his punch line.

"They said they didn't even eat bread!" He chuckled, causing laughter to erupt from the friends. Pidge attempted a fake laugh to make it seem like she had been listening, eyes flitting down to the beer in her hand.

"You know what we should do?" Hunk piped up. "We should totally play a game of never have I ever."

Lance scoffed, taking a swig of his beer. "What are we, 15?"

"Come on, it'll be a laugh!" Hunk insisted.

There was a series of nodding and laughs of agreement, all of which led to Keith having to produce the first one. There were your usual 'inappropriate' ones, and some that simply served to target individuals. By the time Pidge's 7th turn rolled around, she felt like she had come up with a pretty decent one. Or at least... the alcohol was telling her it was a good one.

"Never have I ever... used Keith's toothbrush to clean the mice." Pidge's eyes narrowed across at Hunk as she spoke.

"Hey!"

"You did what?!" Keith hooted, almost throwing himself from the chair he was perched on. Hunk winced, holding out his hands in desperation.

"No- Keith I-" he searched hopelessly for the right words, "I'm totally getting revenge on you," Hunk pointed a finger across at Pidge, who simply met this with an indignant giggle.

Shiro went next, although both Lance and Pidge were too busy laughing at Keith's flustered face to hear what he'd said.

Hunk cleared his throat, announcing it was his turn next. The man rolled the words around his mouth, pulling a smirk onto existence as he stared at the small woman across from him. "Okay... Never have I ever been in love with Lance."

"HUNK!"

Pidge felt he gut drop along with her jaw. To her right, she heard Lance practically choking on his beer, his head whipping around to look at her.