High Above the Ground

Hey guys! This next OS is very romantic and probably one of my favorites! Please please read it and let me know what you think, including silent readers! It is very long, but I wanted to post it completely instead of dividing it into parts.

NOTE: Please please please listen to Daughtry's 'High Above the Ground' for this OS. I was listening to this song on repeat when I wrote this shot! This song perfectly suits the mood and the situations in this story, so here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKYn_n9K8QIWithout further ado, here it is!

OS#9: High Above the Ground

I was wrapped up in my favorite red trench coat and high heeled boots as I stood in the misty air of a London evening on New Year's eve waiting for him. The sky was beautifully clear with a few twinkles that shone in anticipation of a new chapter in our lives. I couldn't stop myself from smiling at the old couple in front of me who shared a sweet kiss and smiled at each other before turning to watch the blinking lights of the London Eye ferris wheel. Thousands of people had gathered in front of the Eye, just like every year, to watch the majestic fireworks and ring in the New Year amidst snow flakes and fairy lights. And like every year, he and I had stood in line to ride the wheel to the top and welcome in the New Year together. I couldn't help the faint blush that covered my cheeks every time I remembered the kisses that we shared just as the countdown started and watched in amazement as the burst of fireworks surrounded us lighting up the sky above.

A pair of strong arms wrapped around my frame as his familiar woody scent filled my senses. I relaxed into his arms as he placed a small kiss on the back of my head and then turned to hand me the hot chocolate he had gone to buy. As soon as I saw him, my heart surged into my mouth and I remembered why I had fallen for him so easily back when we were kids. With a black coat on with gloves and a fleece headband that covered his ears, he let his long hair flow to his shoulders and sway with the wind. His eyes held warmth and love that made me smile. He leaned down to place a quick kiss on my red lips before pulling me back in to his arms as we waited near the head of the line for our turn at the wheel.

Once settled into the capsule, Om moved to the seat beside me and wrapped him arms around me. "You ready?"

I let my head relax on his shoulder. "Hmm"

He paused for a moment before whispering, "You remember the first time we met?"

I smiled. How could I forget?

It was the first day of school and I was made to sit next to the rather grubby looking eight year old in the back of the class.

"Hi I'm Gauri and I'm new. What is your name?"

The boy turned to me with a serious look before turning back to his drawing book and color pencils.

"Hi. I'm Gauri. And you are?" I tried again, not believing that he was ignoring me. He turned to me again with a judging gaze, before relenting and shaking my outstretched hand.

"Omkara."

"Hi Om-"

But he had already turned to the coloring book without waiting for a reply.

_ _

"Yup, I thought you were weird." He laughed.

"Well, back then I probably was."

_ _

It was only when we were assigned a computer project together, that we began to talk more than the customary Hi' and Bye' (which was also forced by our mothers, by the way).