Chapter 11

Her name was Sarah grey, she had green eyes and blonde hair.
This was all I knew about her.
I watched as people dropped flowers and candles and what not at her locker, where a small framed picture of her, with a large smile stood.
I marveled at the stark contrast to the lifeless girl that I met.

I didn't notice the people passing, the friends crying, I didn't notice the sad smiles the teachers were giving everybody.
They lost a friend, a sister, a girlfriend, a daughter.
I didn't know her, I didn't know what to feel for her.

I stared at her frame, as if she would jump out and tell me everything I wanted to know.

"Hi, were you a friend of Sarah's? "
A petite girl asked, her blue eyes shinning  with sorrow.

I didn't know what to say, so I just nodded.

She held out a pamphlet to me.
"This is her obituary, the wake's on Thursday. y. We'd really love for you to be there. "
She walked away after handing it to me.
I stared at the small booklet and I realized I didn't know, nobody really knew  her life and now we get to read it off a sheet of paper.

Everybody seemed dull and grey, like the life was sucked out of them.
It reminded me of the asylum and it gave me a really bad feeling.

I walked past Shelly in the bathroom, applying make up and she was bubbling about the goodbye party she was hosting for Sarah this weekend. I didn't know what to feel about that so I just walked away.

"Are you going to Sara's wake ? Kira asked me as we walked to our next class. "

"I - I don't really know, I didn't know her. "
I said, uncertain.

"I didn't know her too but I guess that's the point, we try to show the deceased that we might not really have been close but we'll always be here to remember them, we won't let their legacies die. "

"Yeah"
I said, as my memories carried me to another time, another death.

"Say something Mitchie aren't you going to say something?"
The swollen faced woman shook the little girl, wailing about her lost child.

"Cry, blame me, laugh, blame anybody just please don't be silent"
She begged, her body weight sagging to the floor.

"Please don't be silent"
She whispered this time, the little girl patted her back and stared at her with empty eyes.
Eyes that would never be filled again.

"Mitchie..... Mitchie "
Kira shook me as she called my name.
I blinked as my attention was returned to her.

"Hmm? "

"I said we can go together yeah? "

"Oh sure yeah "
I said, absentmindedly.

I sat in Tessa's car as she begrudgingly agreed to drive me to the hospital to see the old lady.

"Aren't you coming in? "
I asked as the car pulled to a stop.

"No way I'm going to see that old coot"
She shook her head.

I nodded, aunt Layla must've told her of the not so warm welcome she was given by Mrs Smith.
I found out her name from aunt Layla.

I folded my hands into my jeans.
I met the nice lady at the front desk and told her who I was coming to see and she gave me directions.
I decided to take their stairs, instead of the weird metal box they called an ......'elivitor' or so, it reminded me too much of things I'd rather forget.

"Hello Mrs Smith "
I pipped when I entered, she looked surprised to see me then her scowl took over her face.

"I thought you were gone kid "
She groaned out.