chapter 17

Hey guys. Tomorrow's my birthday. Do a girl a favor and vote. Kisses from your favourite missus

After school, I make my way to the ice cream shop. It's a mixture of pink, green and yellow colors. designs, swirls and strokes line the walls.
The whole place has a cloyingly sweet smell that makes me want to abandon all rational thought and eat up the entire building.

I walk over to the counter, a dark haired boy with baby blue eyes stands with a welcoming smile, in a green t -shirt.

"Welcome to daisy's ice cream
Where our ice cream tastes like happiness wrapped in daisy's"

I smile a huge smile, almost forgetting why I'm here in the first place, the place is just so distracting.

I quickly scan the ice cream shop, the place is cramped with families, highschool students and some teachers too, two other waitresses, none of which are blonde.

"Hello"
I say cheerily.

"I'm here to see Veronica Hastings, she works here? "
I ask more than state.

His ace displays a myriad of emotions in a split second.

"Sorry, Vee's been missing for two days now  hasn't come to work, hasn't been to her house, she's kept a great record too and now, nobody knows what happened and the police are still 'looking into it'. "
He says, sounding forlorn.

I gasp.
"That's horrible"

"Yeah... You a friend of hers? "

I stare blankly... I hadn't thought this through.

"Uh.. Yes, an old friend, I just came to visit and they said I could find her here"
I lie.

"Huh... Really sorry then, maybe I'll give you her address and you can check on her folks anytime? "

Seriously? That easy? Oh, Bless the gods of ice cream!.

"Yes! "
I say, a little too enthusiastically, making him look at me weirdly.

"Um.. I mean, yes please. That would be great of you. "

He nods and writes down an address on a piece of paper.

I fold it quickly, grab his hands and squeeze.
"Thank you"

His answering smile is enough to send me on my way.

Since I'm not able to drive and I don't own a car, the walk to the address is long and tiring, not to mention the fact that I get lost, repeatedly, once running into a dog who very much thought I was lunch, don't ask me how I convinced him I was not.

I place a firm knock on the door, steeling myself into the role of long lost friend.

The door is opened by a brown haired woman with tired blue eyes, with wrinkles lining them and her lips turned downward. She has nothing but a huge shirt on and she smells like Tessa after a party.

"Good morning Mrs H"
I say, my voice bubbly and excited.

"I'm Tessa, veronica's friend, I've heard so much about you, you're actually prettier in person."
I gush, making a small smile appear on her lips.

"Oh, come I'm my dear, you shouldn't be out alone these days, strange things are happening in this town."

Thirty minutes later, I've heard the same story the waiter told me, eaten all of Mrs H's cookies and drank a huge cup of tea, and I'm no where near finding anything useful about Veronica Hastings, other than the fact that she loved puppies, she was an only child and she was crazy about the environment. Nothing useful. I decide to try a different approach.