Catfish

by: reddies-spaghetti
on tumblr

reddie
5,706 words
fluffy and cute ùwú

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*     *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"Hi t-this is Bill from t-the TV Show C-Catfish, is this E-Eddie?"

Nausea settled in Eddie's stomach as he heard the words repeated back to him in his mind over and over again. Bill was still on the line, waiting patiently for a response and once Eddie finally managed to find his voice, he croaked out a small, "Yes, yes this is Eddie."

"Great, s-o we've been s-spending time with a y-young man n-named Richie over the p-past few d-days who s-says he' s been t-talking to y-you."

Richie.

Richie Tozier.

"Yeah," Eddie breathed with a shaky tone, "Yeah we've been talking for years." Tears had pooled in his eyes, some starting to track their way down his cheeks as he pulled his knees to his chest. He knew what question was coming next, and he also knew there was only one answer for it.

"T-The reason I'm c-calling is because R-Richie really w-wants to meet you, and s-so he called u-us to help. I-If meeting h-him is something y-you want then w-we can make that h-happen."

Meeting Richie was something that Eddie has wanted ever since he was fifteen years old. Meeting Richie was always meant to be a wish that was never going to be fulfilled. Eddie was never meant to meet Richie, and Richie was meant to eventually move on from him, forget all about him.

Except he hadn't. Instead he had called Catfish, the TV show determined to help people meet their online loves.

"Eddie?"

He cleared his throat, swallowing thickly, "I'm here," he whispered. "I- I want to meet him, I do. I'm just scared he won't like what he sees."

"I-I understand. I do. I-It's okay t-to be scared. A-Are you i-in Derry, Maine?"

Was he in Derry Maine? Of course he was in Derry, where else did they expect him to be?

"Yes, yes I'm in Derry," he answered, more quickly this time. Eddie brought his hand up to wipe away the tears from his cheeks and let out a shuddering breath, "I want to meet him. I do."

"W-We can c-come out to you. W-We can meet s-somewhere public in Derry."

Bill sounded nice over the phone, nicer than any other episode that Eddie had ever watched of the TV show and he wondered if they add in him being harsher once the phone call was over, or if he genuinely could feel how terrified Eddie was.

"There is a large public park," he whispered, "We can meet there, next to the statue around noon tomorrow?"

What was he doing? Didn't the whole reason for not meeting Richie stem down to Eddie being self-conscious in his appearance? Now he was planning on meeting him in front of cameras, for a show that would be aired on national television in around three months time.

Eddie wanted to vomit, his limbs trembling in fear of what the next day was going to bring.

Richie was going to hate him.

"G-Great, w-we'll be o-on a flight and w-we'll see y-you in the m-morning."

Eddie can't even remember saying goodbye, but as the dial of the cut line echoed in his ear, he knew he must have. His lower lip was aching from the biting and he wanted to scream.