The Flame

by:
Anonymous

reddie
9,440 words
superpower au

summary: Theres a new kid in school with a mysterious look. Richie discovers he has dangerous powers with a high cost.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

rainy days always feel different.

the classroom couldn't stay quiet longer than a minute with the rain hitting the windows and making everyone speak louder. but it smelt nice, and made the room cooler. it was like every other day in Derry.

"are you paying attention?"

a pencil launches at his face bouncing off the frame of his coke bottle glasses. Richie pushes his frames up and sticks his tongue out at Stan, "yes mother.."

Stan rolls his eyes and glances over at Beverly who's silently doing her work as music plays through her headphones. at least someone would get their paper done. "Mrs. Eveline is collecting these at the end of class, just do your part of the paper, airhead."

Richie groans loudly and dramatically starts writing on his paper. he hates history class, too many notes to keep track of and lord knows he can't pay attention for longer than a minute of Mrs.Eveline's lectures. one more years and he'll never have to look at her wrinkly face again..

"Class, please put down your pencils for a moment," all eyes turn towards the front of the class and a new face is standing next to her, "we have a new student, Edward—"

"Eddie, nobody calls me Edward.."

Mrs.Eveline gave him a peculiar look, "alright.. well class, back to work."

the class went back to chatting as Stan, Bev and Richie watch the new kid take a seat in the far back corner. he wore a hoodie over his head and kept his backpack between his feet.

"jeez what's his deal? ever heard of sunlight?" Bev jokes earning a small chuckle from Richie and an eye roll from Stan

"he's new, give him a break." Stan looks back at the boy as he writes in a notebook, "maybe we should ask him to sit with us?"

Richie raises his eyebrow at Stan and glances at the boy, he can hardly see his face his hoodie is so big, "maybe he wants to be alone, he chose to sit in the back."

Stan shrugs and goes back to writing.

"yeah, what if he's a freak?"

— — —
_______

by the time lunch came around the rain drizzle had turned into a storm. kids that sat out in the court yard for lunch were now running in soaked with overflown lunch trays.

Beverly and Richie set their lunch trays down at their table in the corner of the cafeteria. Ben was already sitting their eating fruit snacks as he read a book about anomalies and mythical beings. he greets them as they sit, "ever heard of a Basilisk? pretty cool.."

"oh Benny, you and your books" Richie teases, "ever heard of not being a virgin?"

beverly punches his arm as Mike, Stan and Bill approach the table.

"Henry Bowers just got busted for having weed in his locker, shoulda seen his face!" Mike laughs as he sits next to Ben and Stan. Bill looks around the cafeteria and mike nudges him, "tell em Bill— what's wrong?"