The Locker Room: Epilogue

Epilogue

            The last few days of summer, I helped Jenny pack up all her things that she was going to need for college. Her parents returned from their year long trip, finally. Jenny was so happy to see them that she started crying. They apologized for staying so long, and they promised her and Kane that they would never do that again.

            Kane on the other hand, didn't believe them. He gave his parents a hug, but he also explained to them that he wasn't going to return from college until the year was over. He said that he would just stay on campus for the holidays. Mr. and Mrs. Jordan didn't like that idea at all, but they let it slide. They probably hoped that he would change his mind in the future.

            Meanwhile, Val already moved into the college she got into. She got into Brown, with a music scholarship. The scholarship doesn't cover the whole cost while she is there, but most of the cost is covered. She was so excited to go there, and her mom even agreed that she couldn't pass up this amazing opportunity.

            Miley and Dana were doing the twin thing, and were going to the same college. They were going to a small college, and they even said that they were going to share the same room. And that made us all smile. We wished them luck, and they promised that they would visit during the holiday vacations.

            I was folding Jenny's clothes that she threw on the bed, which was supposed to go into a box so she could take them with her on college. She had a lot of clothes. Way more than what I would have packed, but either she didn't care or she had a big dorm. I hoped she had a big dorm considering she was packing a lot.

            "So, what ever happened between you and my brother?" asked Jenny, breaking the silence. I winced.

            What happened between Kane and I was the past. He still couldn't get over the fact that we recorded what the boys said in the locker room. That and he couldn't get over the fact that I let Jace kiss me, even though technically we weren't going out.

            "Jenny-" I said.

            "I know! It's the past, but damn Audrey," said Jenny, "didn't you even think that maybe you two could have worked it out?" I took a deep breath.

            "Let's just drop it for now. Maybe in the future when he's done with college, maybe just maybe we could actually be a couple," I said.

            "Just to let you guys know, I totally approve of this," said Jenny. I smiled.

            I went back to complete focus on folding the clothes, however that shortly lasted because Jenny did a very loud gasp. I looked towards her, and all she had to do was throw a notebook at me. I read the title.

            "This," I said while holding the notebook, "caused us a whole lot of shit."

            Jenny laughed, but then shrugged. I was indeed holding The Locker Room notebook. I gave it to Jenny after the school kept questioning me if I wrote anything down. I told them no, but to be on the safe side, I gave it to Jenny to burn it. Obviously, she didn't follow my instructions very carefully.

            "But it did teach us a very valuable lesson about privacy," said Jenny. I nodded.

            "We need to burn this," I said. Jenny shook her head slowly.

            "We will want to see it in a few years from now, so I have a better idea," said Jenny. "I say we bury it."

            And so we ran down the stairs, grabbed a shovel from the garage, and we dug up a hole behind Jenny's tree. She insisted we had to do it here, so her mom wouldn't see what we did, and apparently it was a very easy spot to remember it. I threw the notebook in the hole, and without another thought we started piling the dirt back on.

            We went back to packing, and soon we were done. We carried all the boxes down the stairs and started packing all the boxes in the car. Her parents insisted that she had to leave today, no matter what time it was. Jenny turned around and looked at me.

            "I'm so going to miss you," said Jenny. I hugged her.

            "I'm going to miss you, too," I whispered in her ear. I heard the garage door open.

            It was just Mr. and Mrs. Jordan, and they smiled at me. I smiled back. I pulled away from the hug, and I noticed that Jenny had watery eyes.

            "Thanksgiving break isnât too far off, girls," said Mr. Jordan. We started laughing.

            After basically a cry fest, Jenny drove away towards the college she was going to. I got back in my car, and drove to my house. Unlike all of my friends, I decided not to go to college. My parents didn't yell at me or anything. They simply just said it was my choice.

            I guess we canât all have happy endings.

            Once I got home, I went straight to my room. I kicked off my shoes, and I lay on my bed. However, I felt something in my pocket. Funny, how I didn't feel it there before. I pulled it out, and I noticed it was a recorder, with a note taped on it.

Audrey,

            I'm giving you the recorder, because I think you should listen to it. You deserve to listen to it, since you took the blame for everyone. Nobody has listened to this one. Remember our promise? I was supposed to keep it, and we would listen to it in the near future. That never happened, obviously. Anyways, you totally deserve this, and I don't want to know what's on it, so please don't tell me.

Your BFF,

Jenny

            I'm not going to lie; I did tear up a little when I read the note. I held onto the recorder, remembering the night. I could remember every single detail, everything. I got up from my bed, and walked to my closet. I pushed around a few things, until I came to the record player. I took it and set it on my bed.

            I put the recorder in, and I pressed play. I laid on my bed, just listening to it. Back when we first started this whole thing, we thought anything and everything was interesting. Now when I listen to it, I just hear the same stuff over and over again. Nothing new.

            I was about to turn it off, and go to bed, since it was late, but somebody's voice stopped me right in my tracks. I couldn't move a muscle, while I heard his voice.

            "I like Audrey, Tyler," said Kane.