•11•

Eden stumbled rather clumsily into her apartment that night

Eden stumbled rather clumsily into her apartment that night. Her head pounded and swarmed with questions as she tried to register everything that had happened in the last twenty-four hours.

She walked into her kitchen and put the kettle on the stove.

Slipping off her shoes and peeling off her dress and tights, she pulled out the small slip of paper Malcolm had given her.

The encounter with the crows at lunch had shaken her and in response Malcolm had given Eden his personal cell number. Insisting she call him if anything was amiss.

The kettle began to scream.

Eden exhaled and placed the paper on the counter.

She turned the stove off and poured the steaming water into a nearby mug with a tea bag.

Eden picked up her discarded clothes and carried them to the laundry room. She then grabbed a clean white button down shirt and draped it around her.

Her cheeks burned when she realized it was the shirt Malcolm had given her.

An ear shattering crash sounded from her bedroom.

Eden shrieked in surprise. The apartment was suddenly silent.

A chill slipped down Eden's spine and simmered in her stomach.

She took a shaky breath and slowly walked toward her bedroom. Her hands trembled and her heartbeat sounded like thunder in her ears.

Turning the door handle she looked inside.

Shattered Glass from a nearby window was scattered across the floor. Moonlight reflecting off of the broken pieces.

Eden looked around for a brick or a rock. Something to indicate the cause.

A chilly breeze drifted in from the now hallowed window frame. The curtains fluttered upward and whipped around.

Her heart stopped.

She lost all feeling in her fingers and felt as if she were going to be ill.

A long dark feather rested against the ground among the pieces.

She looked around again. Her eyes adjusting to the dark and saw that there were as many feathers as there were pieces of glass. The dim light of the moon cast over them.

Eden felt adrenaline replace the blood in her veins as she ran into the kitchen and grabbed her phone.

Her entire body shook as she typed in a phone number.

The phone rang once.

Her heart continued to beat wildly.

The phone rang twice.

Eden suddenly had a flash of reality. How stupid could she be? This was not something to bother anyone about. It was just a feather. It could have been from anything.