•13•

Malcolm had insisted Eden join him for breakfast

Malcolm had insisted Eden join him for breakfast. She sat with him in one of the various sitting rooms scattered throughout the elaborate castle. Breakfast foods laid out before them.

Eden gingerly placed a berry into her mouth. The sweet taste exploding on her tongue. She still had yet to understand the absurdity of the situation she was in.

Malcolm was a werewolf. Meaning he had a mate. When he found his mate he would completely abandon Eden in all ways. Just like what happened to her sister Genevieve.

"Malcolm," she said. She was tired of avoiding the inevitable, she needed to rip the bandaid off.

"Yes, love?" He answered distractedly. Slowly putting down his book, tearing his eyes off the page and meeting hers.

"Where is your mate?" She asked. Her entire body tensing as she awaited his response.

Various conflicted emotions flashed across his eyes. Making it impossible to tell how he was really feeling.

"I do not have one," he said softly.

Eden's brow furrowed. That wasn't possible. Sure she had heard of some wolves who never had the chance to meet their mate. Or even being rejected. But every werewolf had a mate.

"That doesn't make any sense," Eden insisted.

"You would not believe me if I told you," he replied frankly. Turning his attention back to his book.

Eden sat back in her chair and folded her arms across her chest.

"Try me."

Malcolm sighed.

"I would rather not."

Eden exhaled loudly in frustration.

"Did they reject you?" She pressed. Not caring if she was being rude.

Malcolm almost smiled.

"No."

"Did they pass away?" Eden asked. Her voice softer.

"In a way."

Her eyes widened. And she wanted to laugh in triumph.

"So you do have a mate!" She accused.

"Eden I cannot even begin to explain the complexity of the situation. So just forget about it," he said sharply.

Eden knew she had struck a nerve. But now she was even more confused than before. He claimed he had no mate yet then implied that he did.

"I'm going to put in my resignation papers tomorrow," she said.

Malcolm's eyes snapped up to meet hers.

"What?" He said. He looked as if he had just broken something.

"I don't know what the hell I am to you or what you feel toward me but I'm not going to let my emotions get played with anymore," she explained.