•12•

"You're joking," Eden insisted

Malcolm had swiftly carried her and all her belongings up stairs to the roof of her tall apartment building.

She was currently looking at a helicopter perched and ready for take off in front of her.

"You flew a fucking helicopter?"

Malcolm looked at her.

"Car would have taken too long."

"Is it even legal to- land it here?"

Malcolm simply shrugged and stepped into the helicopter. Setting her duffle bag down in the back and set Eden in the seat beside his.

"I do not think anyone would care, frankly."

Eden looked down. Right. He was the alpha of the whole damn country. No one would dare challenge him.

"So are you just going to take off in your helicopter every time I call you?" She asked, rolling her eyes.

Malcolm gave her a hard look.

"If I think you are in harms way then I will be there to protect you by whatever means necessary."

His voice was stern and icy cold. Eden wanted to ask him why he cared so much. But she was already ready to fall asleep again. She didn't care to argue with a man as aggravating as him at this hour.

Malcolm fastened her into the seat and tightened the safety restraints.

He handed her a set of ear plugs.

"It can get quite loud."

She nodded and put the earmuffs over her head.

Eden closed her eyes and dug her nails into his palms as she heard the helicopter start up and begin to rise off the ground.

She opened her eyes several moments later and allowed herself to look at Malcolm.

A hard expression had settled upon his face. His furrowed brow and tight set jaw made him look unfairly more attractive.

Eden took a deep breath and forced herself to look away.

This man was not even near her reach. She needed to stop whatever she was feeling before it was too late.

She glanced at him again.

He was an insatiable flirt. He was an alpha used to getting whatever he wanted. And he clearly wanted something from her. She just couldn't figure out what yet.

He must have noticed her staring because he turned his head and looked at her. His almost sour expression melted away and a wolfish grin spread across his lips. Followed by a wink.

Eden quickly looked away. He was toying with her. If his goal was to unnerve and confuse her then he had succeeded.

She turned her line of sight to the window to her right. A gasp nearly escaped her mouth as she stared at the glowing city lights beneath them.