31

"Where's the key hole?!", Thorin shouted. They had just climbed up an ancient dwarven staircase to find the hidden door. They believe they've found it. Only there's one major problem, the sun was setting and there was not a keyhole to be found. Dwalin was currently hitting the stone with an axe and Thorin was pounding it with his fists.

"Stop Thorin! The sun has set, we've lost our chance. I'm sorry lad.",Balin said. Thorin looked lost and sad. He dropped to key, and everyone began walking back to the stairs. Bilbo was confused,"What? You can't give up now!" But no one listened, they just continued walking.

As it began to grow darker Bilbo kept mumbling,"Last light.....last, light." He looked up at the bright full moon rising and then the door. It suddenly dawned on him,"The last light of Durin's day, is moonlight! Thorin! Balin! It's the moonlight! Oh where's the key?" In his clumsyness in looking for the key, one of Bilbo's big hairy hobbit feet accidentally kicked it. It would have gone over the edge if a heavy foot did not step on it.

Thorin bent over and picked up the key. He walked over to the door and stood by it, watching the key hole appear. He gently put the key in, turned it, and the doors swung silently open. Thorin whispered in amazement,"Erebor."

He stepped into the threshold and run his hand across the walls,"Do you remember it Balin?" Balin nodded,"Halls bathed in golden light, aye, I remember it well. All that's left now is to find the Arkenstone."

Bilbo was quite curious,"Akenstone, what's that?" Thorin turned back to him,"That, mister Baggins, is why you are here."

Golden coins crunched beneath Bilbo's bare feet. "Stupid stone, I could wake a dragon for this.", he was agrily mumbling to himself. He had to find the kings jewel and the best description he got from Thorin and Balin was that it was big and white. Excellent.

Bilbo found many large white stones, though he doubted any of them were the infamous kings jewel. He searched and searched for what seemed like hours. He eventually got tired and sat down. After about ten minutes of swearing Thorin and the jewel he got up and searched again.

This went on for at least 3 hours. Bilbo noticed the sun coming up because he saw the light in the tunnel he came in grow brighter. His foot hit an object larger than a coin and he got exited. To his disappointment it wasn't the Arkenstone, but a cup. He bent over and picked it up to examine it. As soon as it left its spot, gold began to fall down like an avalanche.

Bilbo cringed at the noise. He was hoping there wasn't a dragon in here so he tried his best to stay as quiet as possible. After the gold slowed and came to a stop, Bilbo relaxed a little bit. He had a small smile of excitement on his face, maybe there wasn't a dragon? That question was answered when Bilbo turned around and saw a large red closed eye.

He held his breath as he backed up slowly. He turned around, he saw the tail of the great beast stretch from the mound of goal at least 70 feet away. Bilbo cringed when he heard the beast begin to move around. He hurried behind a pillar and in a panic slipped on his ring. He peered from the corner and watched the dragon move it's fire yes around the room.

"Where are you thief? I smell you, I hear your breath but I can't see you.", Smaug boomed as he moved his head towards the pillar. Bilbo quickly and silently moved before Smaug's head was beside him. "Show yourself, thief in the shadows!"

Bilbo took off his ring and stepped into the light."Ah, there you are. What is your business here, thief?"

"I am merely here to gaze upon you magnificence, I did not believe the tales told of your glory."

Smaug moved to a large open area, turned towards Bilbo, spread his wings wide and asked,"Do you believe them now?" Bilbo bowed his head,"The tales fall utterly short of the real thing, O Smaug the chief calamity." Smaug chuckled,"Good, go tell that to your little dwarf friends." Bilbo stepped back,"What? You must be mistaken Smaug your terribleness, there are no dwarves here."

"Your reek of dwarf! I know the smell more than anyone!", he shouted running towards Bilbo. Bilbo put his ring on and quickly moved to another pillar."That's a good trick, tell me, where are you from thief? Your smell is not of dwarf." Bilbo thought for a second,"I come from over hill and under hill. I am the ring bearer, the stinger, the barrel rider!"

Smaug laughed,"Very interesting titles. Step back into the light." Bilbo listened and came out. His eyes widened as he saw the most beautiful sparkling gem he had ever seen. That must be the Arkenstone! Smaug looked where Bilbo looked and sneered,"I'm almost tempted to let you have it, so that I can watch Thorin Oakenshield suffer. But I think I'll kill you instead."

Smaug reared back his head and his throat began to grow hot. Bilbo was frozen with fear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neana opened her eyes to a bright white room. In front of her she saw two doors, each with a window beside it. Neana walked forward and looked out the right window. She saw Fili holding, her hand? What? She looked out the other window and saw the most beautiful sight ever. Realization hit her like a ton of bricks. Somehow, she was having the choice of deciding whether or not she wanted to live, or die.

She looked back through the right window. Fili was holding her dead, or rather between dead, hand to his lips. He had been crying. She saw Kili, Oin and Bofur standing off to the side talking about something.

Neana took a step back and thought hard for a long moment. She then took a breath, opened the door of her choice, and stepped through.