33

Fili was still holding Neana's hand. He looked at her face, she couldn't be dead, she just couldn't. She didn't look dead. She looked like she was sleeping peacefully. Fili knew that was a nice way of describing a deceased person, but this was different. Her cheeks still had color, and the wound was almost fully healed, and her hands had a slight warmth, though that might be from Fili constantly holding them.

His head jerked up as he felt a rumbling in the ground. He looked to Kili who had the same expression of shock as him. He then turned to Bofur,"What's that?" Bofur hurriedly got Oin up,"Dragon."

Fili looked to Bard,"Take your children and find shelter!" His children were holding onto his coat,"Is it gonna kill us?" Bard looked at them, then grabbed something, and pulled down a black arrow,"Not after I kill it first." He leaves, his son following close behind.

Not 3 minutes after they leave, a gigantic roar shakes the entire house. Making lots and pans fly everywhere."Come on let's go!" Bofur helps Oin out of the house. Fili turns his head when he hears screams. He sees the two girls cowering in a corner, a fire had started and spread in a line in front of them.

He ran and jumped over it, next to the girls."Fili!" He looks and sees his brother standing on the other side with his hands out. Fili understands and picks up the younger of the girls and tosses her to Kili, who catches her with ease.

As they run out the door, Fili picks up the oldest bridal style, runs and jumps over the fire. It had spread to the entire house. Coughing, they both run out of the house. Fili and Kili look up to see the large body of Smaug fly over them, sending fire into another area.

A cracking sound turned their attention to the house. The roof was nearly nothing but ashes and it was beginning to cave in. Fili stepped back in horror, Neana! Even if she were dead, she deserves a proper burial. He ran back to the house.

Neana's throat burned as she opened her eyes. She sat up and began coughing from the smoke. She rolled off the table and crawled under the table. Not exactly the best idea. The roof cracked and fell onto the table, splitting it in half. Neana had crawled out just in time, only to be hit in the head with a large pot falling from above. It hit her in the temple, knocking her unconscious in seconds.

Fili ran in and jumped through the flames, ignoring his brothers cries. He went to the dining room where she lay, only to see the table snapped in half and Neana nowhere to be found.

He panicked and ran around the table. His foot caught on something and he tripped. He looked to see what it was and what he saw was a soot covered hand. He rapidly got up and put her over his shoulder, running out of the house right before it collapsed entirely.

Kili was relieved to see his brother come out of that house and back into the alley where they were currently hiding."We can't stay here!", Bofur shouted. Fili noticed the girls were gone. "They found someone they knew and went with them.", Kili answered him reading his mind.

"Where do you suppose we go? There is no safe place with Smaug on the hunt with a thirst for blood!", Fili said. It suddenly hit him. He gently handed Neana to Kili,"I'm going to go get Bard, keep her safe!" Without another word he ran off.

Kili, Bofur and Oin ran to the docks, hoping to catch a quick boat into the forest to hide. To their dismay, every boat had been burned. Flinching as a stream of fire came close, they ran under a dock, waist high in water.

Fili found out where Bard was and found his way there no problem. He grabbed the keys and unlocked the door without a word. Bard looked at him,"Where's the arrow?" Fili looked around and saw if thrown off into the corner. He grabbed it and handed it to Bard.

"This may be awkward, but cover me?", Bard asked for he had no weapons. Fili said nothing but pulled out both of his swords. They both ran out of the jail and Fili followed the boatman.

Guards spotted them numerous times, and each time, Fili would kick them into the lake. The came to the tower and Bard kicked open the door and they both ran up the steps as fast as their feet would let them.

They quickly made it to the top with the wind lance and Bard wasted no time loading the arrow. Fili didn't have to really cover him anymore so he put his swords away. All he could do was pray that this final arrow made its mark.

Bard watched Smaug fly by a few more times. This shot had to do it. Smaug flew back up into the air, meaning to fly around once more. Bard tuned out all the screams and crashes as he focused on Smaug.

He held his breath as Smaug drew closer. Bard kept his eyes on the chest of the beast. As soon as he saw the black spot, he let the arrow loose.

Fili watched the arrow fly and bury itself, shaft and all, in the chest of the great Smaug. The dragon shrieked with pain as he plummeted to the lake. Fili and Bard could only watch as the beast plummeted.

Bofur cried out it warning as he looked at the sky. Kili followed his gaze to see the large figure of a dragon falling towards them, fast. They swam father and farther into the lake trying to get away.

Kili tried to keep Neana above the water as much as possible. They stopped and looked back to see Smaug crash into the lake far off the the right. This did not stop the giant wave from reaching them. It pushed against them with such force it ripped Neana out of Kili's hands.

He reached to grab her, but she was already pulled under water. He to was then pulled under by the current.