Chapter 4: The Hockey Gala

It was the night before the hockey gala and I sat alone in my apartment. Jamie was suppose to come over for dinner today but had to take a rain check because he promised Tyler that he would take him horse back riding. Why in gods name he wanted to do that was beyond me. But now I was stuck alone with nothing to do.

*

Tyler's POV

I fixed my white tie in the mirror, this was it, preseason and training camp was over. The hockey gala gave us all a chance to relax before the regular season started October 3rd. My stomach turned, the thought of seeing most of the guys again terrified me. This year's hockey gala was fortunately in Dallas so no traveling for me and Jamie.

"Hey Tyler you ready?" calls Jamie

"Yea, give me a second" I scream back. As I open the door Marshall jets out of the room. As I walk down into the living room Nicola's voice fills the air.

"Oh my! Aren't you just the cutest!" I hear her squeal and Marshall barks back. I fix my slacks before looking up, lying my eyes on her. It felt as if Chara took a slap shot at my stomach, knocking all the wind out of me.

Her blonde hair was pinned up in curls, some fell and framed her face. Her small waist looked perfect in the white dress with rhinestones. Her leg stuck out from the slit in the dress as she knelt to pet Marshall. Her makeup was a nude lipstick and a dark smokey eye, showcasing her green eyes.

"Jamie, we ready to go?"she asks as she stands up, letting the dress fall lightly.

"Yea I was waiting for Tyler"

"Is this your dog?" she asks, acknowledging my presence

"Yea, he's a big one"

"I like big dogs" she says as she pets his head, my dog was liked more than I was. On the way there the car ride was quiet and I lost shotgun to Nicola.

"Tyler, you okay?" Jamie asks

"Just nervous" I mutter

"Sorry to hear that" he sighs

"It's nothing, I hope tonight will be fun"

Nicola's POV

As soon as we pull up to the gala I head inside with Jamie, Tyler following like a lost puppy. I did feel a little bad for the kid, he had to see his ex-teammates tonight. As we enter into the gran ballroom, where the gala is being held I quickly spot Eddie Lack of the Vancouver Cunucks and begin to have small talk with him.

"I love that Jamie brings you every year, it's such a pleasure to see you" he smiles

"Awe thanks Eddie" I smile back

I catch up with Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews but as I'm talking Tyler joins in.

"Hey Ty" says Patrick as him and Tyler fist bump

"You know Kaner?" Tyler asks me

"Yep" I say annoyed

"Yea, Nicola is pretty cool" Patrick smiles

"I'll catch up with you later" I than leave, not wanting to be near Tyler any longer. As I walk away I see Sidney Crosby, it's been so long since I talked to him, he had skipped a few galas.

"Nicola?" he says

"Hey"I say as I hug him

"Whose this?" questions as girl with dark brown hair and crystal blue eyes, she has a small baby bump.

"Nicola, she writes for the dallas stars, ive known her since I was drafted into the league" He than turns to me and takes the ladies hand "Nicola this is my wife, Clair and our soon to be son"

"was this the girl you told be about a few galas ago? Sid had dated you for a couple months and was head over heals in love!" She begins laughing and Sidney's cheeks turn pink in embarrassment.

"Yep, this is her'

"It's so nice to meet you, Sid you better take good care of her! She's stunning!"

I make my way back to the Stars table where Jordie, Jamie, Alex, Tyler and Sergi all sat. I took my seat next to Jamie, who was seated right next to Tyler. I dont get why Tyler was so stuck up Jamie's ass, it was really pissing me off these past few days.

"You okay?" questions Jamie to Tyler who is staring into space, he does the same thing on the bench to. He doesn't say a word, he keeps staring. I glance to where he was looking, the Bruins table. I never came close to that table at any gala, i never spoke a word to any of their players.

Milian, Brad, Chara, Fraser, and Patrice were all caught up in a conversation. I was happy that Matt had adjusted well, him, Morrow, Smith and Eriksson were the only guys i respected on that team, being that they came from dallas.

"Is he okay?" Jamie whispers to me

"He's to busy staring at his ex-boyfriends" I snicker. Jamie gives me a weird look but than realizes what I'm talking about. The gala goes on and Tyler didn't leave the Dallas table. I mingled with players and their wives/girlfriends and had a good night. I wasn't big on drinking but I did have a glass of wine, Jamie insisted that I did.

It was toward the end of the night were I was sitting with Evgeni Malkin and even tho I couldn't understand half of what he said, he was a very funny man. Anyways I was sitting talking to him about this huge birthday bash he had had when I caught Brad Marchand make his was to the Dallas table. He sat next to to Tyler, who was completely oblivious with his eyes glued to his phone.

Tyler's POV

"Really no acknowledgement?"

"What are you talking about Jam-" It wasn't jamie, it was Brad.

"What do you want" I mutter

"Oh now your mad at me? not my fault you got your ass traded"

"If you had never brought me out that-"

"Shut the fuck up, you would've went our eventually.. The guys they wanna know why you won't even look at them"

"Because they aren't my 'guys' anymore"

"Just cause your on a fucking different team doesn't mean shit Tyler.. We all feel bad for you, Dallas isn't winning shit anytime soon"

"Fuck off and you just watch this season, just watch." With that I got up and headed out to the car.