Chapter 24: Now You Know

Nicola's POV

Within those last words I snapped. My eyes opened suddenly and landed on a very red Jamie who had his face buried into his hands as he kneeled at the side of my hospital bed. I squeezed my left hand into a fist which hurt incredibly because of my IV. "What happened?" I mumbled with my lips closed and my eyes darting back to the ceiling. "Nic?" Jamie said, lifting his head from his hands, reaching over to my hand he squeezed it. "Jamie" was the only thing I was able to get out. "Shhh Nicola" he soothed me "It's going to be okay"

"What happened?" I mumble again.

"You fell unconscious from lack of nutrients" he says softly. Before I could even say another word Tyler Seguin walks in the room with a sad face, staring at the ground. But than he looks up, sees me and a smile appears on his face. But a wave of anger comes over me, how dare he be here. How dare this drunk alcoholic be here. And what was Jamie talking about? I vaguely remember being kicked in the head before everything went black. I stay quiet as I watch Tyler come over next to Jamie. "Hey Nic" He says softly, as if a regular tone would be to loud for me to hear.

"Why is he here?" I snap, my eyes like daggers as I look at Jamie. Both Tyler and Jamie have confused looks on their faces as they look at each other and than at me.

"You heard me Jamie, why is he here?" There's still no answer and silence has filled the room. "Why is this drunk alcoholic here!" I lift my arm to adjust myself and Jamie reaches for my arm. I spot something odd peaking out from the hospital bracelet. I bring my wrist closer and squint my eyes hard to focus which was incredibly hard because of this headache I had. But when I finally was able to see I was taken back, I couldn't even believe my own eyes.
"A tattoo?" I freaked, out of the corner of my eye I saw Tyler go a pale white and look at Jamie with wide eyes.

"Can I talk to you outside" he says while pulling on Jamie's jacket. They close the door behind them, but it is not sound proof and I can hear everything they are saying.
"Where did that tattoo come from?" Jamie pressured Tyler but he only responded with "forget that, is her memory back?" Memory? What was wrong with my memory? I remember everything expect this damn tattoo on my wrist that had these Roman numerals on them. "I-I don't know" Jamie said. The door opened and in came Jamie who came to the side of my bed.

"Hey Nic" he talks in a soothing low voice. "Remember that time you walked in to the locker room and saw Pete's you know what?" He smirked. I vaguely remembered that day, I hated my brother so much for making me go in the locker room after the game. My cheeks turned bright red at the embarrassment I still have. "I thought we agreed not to tell anyone" I laughed to cover up my uncomfortableness. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Tyler hold back his laugh as he turned a little red. "Oh my god Nicola" The next thing I new Jamie was on top of me, practically suffocating me.

When Jamie finally let go, I looked up and Tyler was gone. I wasn't mad that he had left but I wondered why did."What's his problem?" I ask. Jamie takes a deep breath before talking. "Nicola there is so much to explain" He says practically out of breath. What was he talking about? And how come me lying here reminded him of my brother? What did my brother have to do with any of this? 'Jamie I want an answer now' I give him a stern look, an 'im about to get really pissed if you do not tell me right now' look.

"Nicola do you remember getting into a fight with Tyler?" he questions softly. "Of course I do" I roll my eyes. "And Nicola, what month do you think it is?"

"November" As soon as I say that, his eyes go glassy. There are tears brimming his eyes as he squeezes my hand. "It's December, Christmas is in a week" December? How? How long have I possibly been out? "What happened to me Jamie" I could no longer keep the tough girl look on anymore, I was about to crumble. "You woke up in the hospital a few days after the really bad uh hit" he swallowed the lump in his throat "And you had forgotten everything, you didn't even know your own name let alone who I was. You turned into a shell of your self.. It was like you where here physically but you weren't here mentally. You.." He stops mid sentence, pondering if he wanted to tell me something. He decided I'm better off not knowing which makes me uncomfortable. He licks his bottom lip before looking at the new tattoo on my wrist. "And this, you made Tyler take you to go get. The roman numerals where to represent the day of the accident"

"But why am I here?"

"We brought you to the American Airline center for the first time since the accident and you fainted on the ice with Tyler, we rushed you here where we found out you where dehydrated"

"On the ice with Tyler?" I wasn't sure if my ears where working right. "You took a liking to him, even went on a date with him" I was about to throw up at the thought of that. Had I kissed Tyler? Did he leave because he knew my memory was back and I would no longer be able to stand him? "Im not going to lie, I was jealous. It seemed like you didn't want to be around me" Jamie laughed softly as he tugged at the hair on the base of his neck. "I know this is alot to swallow, but you'll be coming home tomorrow so rest up" He kisses my forehead and is gone without another word.