The Prank

Fred and George woke bright and early on the 1st of April. It was their birthday and they had the best prank planned for the guests. They just hoped that the guests wouldn't take it the wrong way.

Silently the two twins crept downstairs, flinching as one step creaked. The Burrow was still silent. Carefully, Fred and George removed the presents on the kitchen table and put them in the garage. They replaced them with boxes wrapped in identical wrapping paper and started to wreck them as quietly as possible. Of course they weren't going to wreck their real presents (one seemed to look like a broomstick)!

Then they went over to the oven and turned it up as high as it would go. Mrs Weasley had been downstairs at 8 that morning to cook some breakfast. It was now 8:40 and the twins had set them up to burn. They would have normally taken an hour but with the extra heat they would be done in 10 minutes.

They quietly crept back up to bed and pretended to sleep. At 9, everyone woke to screaming in the kitchen. Fred and George went downstairs to "discover" the mess and the burnt food.

"Oh boys! It is all ruined! The presents and the food! I don't know how!" A distressed Molly said, trying to sort everything out.

"Don't worry mum!" The twins reassured their mum.

"Oh but my plans are ruined! We were going to open your presents after breakfast but there are no presents or food!" Molly protested.

"Mum I am sure that you can find something in the freezer to eat." The twins said.

Molly went to the fridge and found some bacon and eggs. "This will have to do dears!" The woman said, though no one minded. 10:00 came and went and there was no sign of the guests that were meant to be arriving early. Harry had roped the guests into the prank and they were meant to be arriving as late as possible, so around 12:30.

So instead a flustered Molly decided to play Quidditch and got a snitch a bludger and a quaffle and the boys got brooms out of the family broom cupboard. A lot of these brooms had been enchanted by Arthur Weasley who had a special license from the ministry to enchant and ride broomsticks (otherwise it was classed as illegal). However the brooms were slow and quite old.

It was a terrible game the bludger kept chasing after Ron, the snitch went missing and everyone kept dropping the quaffle. It was the twins that had choreographed the bludger stunt, they had asked Dobby to charm it to chase after Ron but not so that he got hurt, they weren't that mean! Dobby had also charmed the snitch to hide behind the shed for the entire game and the quaffle, well no one was a good chaser anyway! On top of all this, the players kept knocking into each other!

At 12, Molly had had enough. Though lunch was not to be a bliss either! During a break, the twins had slipped some ants into the picnic basket and just as they had expected, they had devoured a lot of sandwiches, fruit and even pasties! These ants sure weren't fussy.

Molly almost broke down crying her eyes out. She hadn't planned for so much to go wrong, she was looking forward to the afternoon though, surely it couldn't be much worse than that morning. She was wrong!

After salvaging what little of the picnic she could and having lunch, the guests finally showed up, they had presents for the twins and Molly was grateful, she let the boys pen them up right there and then, seeing as they had not opened up any that morning.

Between them they got a water gun (each); gobstones; some goggles for detecting nargles and wrackspurts (from the Lovegood's); and a Zonkos advanced pranking kit.

Molly gave up on quidditch that afternoon and decided to play exploding snap. This didn't last long. Luna and Harry decided to start fighting. This wasn't something either child would do normally, but they were pranking the Weasley family as instructed by Fred and George.

"She cheated!"

"Your brain is full of nargles and wrackspurts!"

"It isn't fair!"

"I don't want to play with him anymore! He might contaminate me with nargles!"

At this both children stormed out of the room and upstairs. Harry went to the twins' room and Luna to Ginny's. Harry got the next part of the prank set up as instructed by Fred and George.

At 1, guests started to arrive and the actual party started. Bill, Charlie and Percy flooed in from Hogwarts laiden with gifts. Molly Weasley ran over to Bill and kissed him on the forehead and did the same to Charlie, Percy however, pushed his mother away and instead received a reluctant hug.

Soon the tent was set up and everyone helped to lay the food out. Presents went on a separate table and the twins snuck the presents that they had meant to open in with everything else. Soon around 30 presents were on the table from friends and family. Though this time nothing was going to happen to the presents or food.

When everyone had gathered under the large white tent at two, expecting a prank from the boys and it was coming. As if on  cue, the tent collapsed onto the guests.

"April fools!" Cried the boys in unison.

"All day we've been pranking you to think that everything was ruined-"

"Thanks to our assistants Harry, Luna and their guardians-"

"We have fooled you! They didn't really fight! The presents weren't ruined this morning-"

"If you look carefully you will see the presents that we were meant to open this morning on the presents table!" After their explanation, it was met with relief and laughter from the children and quite soon from the adults, after realising how stupid it was to think that the day was ruined!

After that, the afternoon went perfectly and by the time the following morning came and the eldest Weasley brothers were back at school, everyone could say that it was the best party ever!