Who am I?

As Jay woke, her eyes adjusted to the bright lights of the infirmary. She screamed as she saw Hagrid. "Aaaaah! What? Where am I? Who am I?" Jay asked, calming down.

The others exchanged worried looks. She was meant to be healed. Madam Pomfrey pulled them aside. "It appears she has lost her memory!"

"Oh really? You're telling me!" The twins said sarcastically. The mediwitch glared at them.

"There are no potions or spells that can cure it, at least not yet. We have to invent one and you need to help restore her memories in the meantime. This way the potion won't need to do so much. It could take the whole year I'm afraid!"

"But how can we do that!? We have only known her for a day or so!" George exclaimed.

"You'll figure it out!"

Madam Pomfrey dismissed them and they walked back to Gryffindor tower. There would definitely be no exploring after all. Fred and George groaned as they came to the portrait of the fat lady. They said the password and took Jay into the common room.

"Ok," Fred sighed, "What do we know about Jay?" He asked himself. He thought back to the conversations that they had had.

"Well, for starters, your name is Jay Davies, you live with your mum, dad and younger sister in a village called Ottery S.t Catchpole. You are a muggleborn witch capable of doing magic." Fred said as the girl in front of him listened intently. She took it all in and looked confused.

"Magic?" She asked, "What is magic?" Fred looked lost, how could he explain magic? He looked to his twin brother for help but George just shrugged. This wasn't going to work. They needed a professional and this school was probably full of professionals.

This is how they found themselves in Dumbledore's office. It was quite by accident that they had discovered the password. They had been walking past the office and George was feeling hungry. "You know what, Fred?" He had said, "I rather fancy some cauldron cakes!" They heard a low rumbling sound and glanced behind them and saw the spiralling staircase.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"You bet!" And with that they raced towards it before it had a chance to close back up. The winding staircase carried them all the way up to a wooden door. They knocked on it and waited for an answer. When no answer came they pushed on the door and it creaked open. Being the mischievous twins they were, they couldn't resist entering the room.

The room they entered was magnificent. It was a large and beautiful circular room, full of funny little noises. A number of curious silver instruments stood on spindle-legged tables, whirring and emitting little puffs of smoke. The walls were covered with portraits of old headmasters and headmistresses, all of whom were snoozing gently in their frames. There was also an enormous, claw-footed desk, and, sitting on a shelf behind it, a shabby, tattered wizard's hat – the Sorting Hat.

"George?"

"Huh?"

"Let's go prod at the hat!"

"Why?"

"To see if it wakes up, duh!" Fred said sarcastically and pulled his brother by the arm over to the hat. George got out his wand and prodded the hat sharply.

It was apparently making up next years song because when it was jerked awake, it was singing "The founders of our school so witty loyal brave and sly!" Then it realised that other people were in the room and it grumbled, "I have to start all over again, now!"

"Why is that?" Fred asked the hat curiously.

"Because of your prodding and poking, you accidentally heard me singing a line that I can never use again! Do you know how hard it is to make up a different song each year?" It explained.

"Why can't you use the same song each year?" George questioned curiously, eyeing the hat.

"Well," the hat pondered, "I was enchanted to not only sort students but to sing about the noble history of our school! If I sing the same song each year then it will get too repetitive and boring!" It reasoned.

They thought about it and nodded their heads in agreement.

"Hello," a voice said from behind, "I presume you are the Weasley twins?" They turned around to see an old man staring at them.

He was tall, thin and very old, judging by the silver of his hair and beard, which were both long enough to tuck into his belt. He was wearing long robes, a purple cloak which swept the ground and high-heeled, buckled boots. His blue eyes were light, bright and sparkling behind half-moon spectacles and his nose was very long and crooked, as though it had been broken at least twice. This man's name was Albus Dumbledore. He was looking at them curiously.

"Sir," Fred said confidently, any fear that he had was now gone, "Why don't you take a seat? I'm sure we would love to hear all about your problems." He said as he pulled a bag of sweets down from a shelf, they were lemon sherbets. He shoved one in his headmaster's mouth and turned to a wall, pacing. Professor Dumbledore spat the sweet out in shock and amusement.

"Georgie?"

"Yes Freddie?"

"Ask him the question about Jay."

"Can you help her?" George asked, taking the chair across from Dumbledore and stroking a stuffed cat he had found under the desk. He shoved the cat off his lap and entwined his fingers together, leaning forwards, Fred put a hand on his shoulder.

"Well how do I need to help her?" Dumbledore asked, still confused as to how he let himself get into the situation.

"She needs her memory back." They said in unison.

"Well there is this one spell, but it is quite dangerous and experimental." Dumbledore said. The twins exchanged looks.

"What is it?" They said, looking at their headmaster.

"The memoria spell." He answered and the two boys looked at him in shock. "Have you heard of it?"

"Yes, but dad thought it was a myth!"

"It is probably why Madam Pomfrey never mentioned the spell in the first place!" He concluded, thoughtfully.

"Well can you do it?" They asked.

"I suppose so..." He said, trailing off.

Fred and George grinned at the old man. "We'll go get Jay!" They yelled as they ran out of the room and back to the common room to grab Jay.