epilogue

Sirius Black, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew spent the dreadful night at James Potter's house

Sirius was living there, anyway, and James had invited Remus and Peter over since the full moon landed on the day after. They didn't want Remus to spend the night alone.

Sirius had recommended the idea. He had a weird feeling this time, and had said, "I have a strange gut feeling, Prongs, why don't we invite the others over. I don't want Remus to be alone this time."

James nodded, but still asked, "What feeling?"

"Like something terrible is about to happen."

So, they were all sleeping soundly as the full moon had already disappeared.

Except for Sirius, he was awake.

He would've at least woken up after an owl screeched loud enough to get his attention.

It had a letter attached to its leg, and as Sirius opened it he immediately recognized the handwriting as Scarlett's mother's.

Sirius and Remus,

I need the both of you in our house. Please come as soon as you read this letter, something bad has happened.

He frowned. His feeling was right. Something bad had happened.

He poked Remus with his wand. And then again. And again.

Now he poked him with as much power he had, and Remus woke up.

The poor guy looked so beaten up.

Still, Sirius showed him the letter and both of them hurried to get dressed and left.

____________

Before they could knock on Scarlett's house's front door, it was already ripped open and revealed her mother's red face and swollen eyes.

The two boys frowned. They shared a look.

"What's wrong?" Sirius asked.

"Come on in boys, I've got a lot to tell you," she ushered them in.

As they sat down in the living room, Remus recognized her sister, Mary. She also had swollen eyes. But where was Scarlett?

"So.. Yesterday Scarlett was about to give birth, boys. It was a premature birth, as it's only August and the baby was expected to come in November.

"She was in so much pain, my poor girl... We took her to a muggle hospital, and they said she had lost too much blood, and —"

She stopped talking. She couldn't bear to think about last night's events. She was a crying mess already.

"What does that mean, then?" Remus asked lowly. Of course he knew what it meant. He wasn't dumb. He just didn't want to believe it.

"It means that she has died, boys. Our lovely girl isn't with us anymore."

________________

After it all was over, he looked down at the freshly planted flowers and tulips and roses. He recalled how she had loved tulips.

In the last five days he had suffered and cried after he locked his bedroom's door at night.

He missed her so dearly. He didn't want to, no he couldn't think about the fact that with her, their child has also died.

He didn't want to imagine how they met, and how they got together, and how she was always there for him. He didn't want to imagine the future he could've had.

Tears welled up in his eyes. He stood at her grave, and Sirius stood next to him.

Sirius had hugged the tall boy. They were both crying.

Peter thought how strange it was, seeing them cry. He couldn't remember one time he had seen them cry. Peter didn't cry that day. He wasn't as involved with Scarlett as Sirius or Remus had been.

James and Peter and Lily and Marlene had decided to leave the other two boys. So they could mourn in peace.

The two stood there for a long time, until Sirius decided to leave, and left Remus alone.

He looked at her grave. He noticed how next to it, there was a much smaller grave.

Teddy Lupin
25th August 1977

He noticed that her mother had given him the name Remus had suggested. That kind of made it even worse for him.

Scarlett Johnson
1st August 1960 — 25th August 1977
beloved daughter, sister and friend

He stared.

Until Remus Lupin decided to leave.