Chapter 4

Tucker Joy knew what he was doing when it came to motorcycles

Tucker Joy knew what he was doing when it came to motorcycles. He'd replaced the bike chain and fixed the sprockets within twenty minutes of looking at the bike. I got the feeling that he wasn't much of a talker seeing as how our conversation was limited to: 'hand me that wrench' or 'toss me the bolt.' Neither of us seemed particularly loquacious at the moment.

He wasn't much of a talker and I- well, I didn't want to do much talking to a guy who was going to possibly destroy me in the future. Sue me.

We worked in stiff, awkward silence. Owein had been docked serious points in my book for forcing me to work with some guy he hired around the house just because he didn't think I could fix it by myself. He was right, of course, but I still found it very demeaning.

"So..." Tucker started and I looked at him in surprise. "Are you starting at Jefferson this fall?"

I nodded slowly, shocked out of our long moment of silence.

"Yeah, I'll be a senior. What about you?" I asked.

"I graduated already," He said screwing back on a bolt that I didn't know existed.

I mentally smacked myself, remembering that Owein had already told us that. My brain felt like it was going one hundred miles a minute every time I felt the heat radiating off of him.

Having his help wasn't the worst thing in the world, but I was very irritated that he knew more than me about something that was supposed to be mine- if I could even consider the bike to be mine. It was more of a bribe from Owein to get me to like him, but I didn't mind. He could bribe away all he wanted but I still wouldn't be able to forget the darkness I'd seen in his eyes.

"Oh, that's cool. Are you leaving for college soon?" I asked, not sure what else to say.

He wiped his hands on a nearby rag and stood up, examining the bike.

"I'm sticking around here for a while actually. Someone has to look after my brothers," he said with what I assumed was a smile.

His lips pulled up at one corner and his brown eyes softened. It lasted only a moment but it was committed to memory. His brooding had had a momentary interruption and I could already tell that was a rare occasion. We stood looking at each other for a long moment. I was searching his eyes for answers and he- well, I wasn't sure what he was looking for.

"All done in here?" Owein's voice interrupted.

We both turned quickly to see him staring at us from the door. He arched one perfectly blonde eyebrow and sent a look towards Tucker. I wasn't sure what the look meant, but it had no remnants of his earlier hospitality and kindness. It was a cold expression that one might have regarding an obscure piece of art.

"Just about," Tucker responded with a polite smile toward his boss.

"There are a few more repairs to do, but Tucker said he'd be willing to come over and help me tomorrow as well," I said.