Chapter 5

No matter what anyone says or does on tv, high school is not the brutal, senseless place that people make it out to be

No matter what anyone says or does on tv, high school is not the brutal, senseless place that people make it out to be. It sucks, don't get me wrong, but nobody steals your lunch money. Sometimes cheerleaders are really nice and the drama kids are dicks. Nobody cares if you play sports and want to join the choir (sorry High School Musical), and in truth, nobody really cares what you do.

There is one thing, however, that most tv shows and movies get right. There is always that one teacher that you wish you could tell to go suck a big ole-

"Eloise, just because you're new does not mean that you may look out the window with that vapid stare on your face. Honestly, it's distracting to even me."

Mr. Carmichael was one of those teachers.

I knew AP chemistry was going to be hard enough, but with Satan as my teacher, it was going to be damn near impossible. Sitting through his class was worse than torture. Especially, after he'd called me out in the middle of class.

The students surrounding me all gave me curious looks when he pointed out that I was new. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and adjusted my focus back to what Carmichael was teaching. While other teachers normally played games or took it easy on the first day of school, Carmichael had a full-blown lecture prepared.

What a saint.

I daydreamed my way through chemistry and pretty much the rest of the school day. When lunch came along, I found myself a nice abandoned table in the corner of the cafeteria. The loud noises of kids all around me distracted me from the isolation I felt not knowing any of them.

Being alone never really bothered me, but sitting by myself in a crowded cafeteria was not very glamorous. Luckily, I wasn't alone for long. Two people quickly plopped down in front of me. Both of them grinned at me.

"Hope we're not interrupting," Ben grinned and shoved a fry in his mouth.

"Yes, as you can see," I motioned around me at the empty table. "I'm having a stimulating conversation with all of my friends."

The girl to the right of Ben laughed and I did a quick overview of her. She had spiky black hair and too many piercings to count without creepily staring at her face.

"I'm Tilly," she explained and reached across the table to shake my hand.

"Actually, what she really means to say is that her name is Matilda," Ben interjected snidely.

Tilly shoved her friend and rolled her hazel eyes.

"Lou," I replied, laughing a little and shaking her hand.

"Benny here tells me that you drove him here on a motorcycle, that true?" Tilly asked, ruffling his hair. I simply nodded.

"If it wasn't sopping wet outside, I probably would've enjoyed the ride a lot more."