Chapter 21

The only sounds I could hear at the dinner table were the scrapes of forks against plates

The only sounds I could hear at the dinner table were the scrapes of forks against plates. I kept shifting uncomfortably in my chair. Rose sat directly across from me and her sister, the hunter, sat diagonally.

My mouth and hands worked together like they were automated, I had no control over them.

Mr. Galloway cleared his throat. "So Eloise and Harry, how are you liking Jefferson so far?"

I heard his voice like it was mumbled through a tunnel. All that I saw and all that I heard was the red-headed woman across from me. She looked to be in her late twenties, young and agile. She ate delicately, but her eyes flitted around the room as if she were ready for a quick exit. Something about the deep set of her green eyes set me on edge, they were hard and unyielding. This was the woman who stabbed a fifteen-year-old boy a week ago.

And here she was eating mashed potatoes like she was the Queen of England.

"It's great," Harry replied, "they have a lot more extracurriculars than our old school."

I didn't take my eyes off of the redhead, Alice I learned was her name. I simply nodded along to Harry's answer, not trusting my mouth to speak.

"Eloise, do you do any extracurriculars? I know Rose is always saying they could use another dancer on their team-"

"No-" Rose and I began at the same time.

This time my attention shifted to the blonde girl and she looked embarrassed to have spoken. Her mother shot her a look and Rose looked back down at her food.

"I- uh I work at a bar."

My lame response earned a sigh and an eye roll from Owein. My teeth ground together and my fists clenched. He was responsible for the attack on Elias. I knew it in my core.

The Galloway parents nodded, smiling. They didn't seem fazed by my answer. I wondered, briefly, if they knew their eldest daughter was a hunter and their youngest daughter was dating a werewolf. It was like some fucked up episode of Days of Our Lives.

You know, if there were werewolves and redheads who try to murder children on the show.

"Rose tells us you're good friends with the Joy boys that live down the road."

Alice looked up from her plate and directed her stare to my face. I met her gaze and nodded, with a tight smile on my lips. Her lips pursed and her eyes narrowed, but I didn't look away. I stared, defiantly, into her eyes.

"Yes, they're good friends," I replied, "They look after me and in turn, I look after them."

Alice's eyes widened fractionally and I knew that I'd given myself away. She stood quickly, knocking a fork off the table. Everyone's attention was directed at the redhead. She quickly excused herself and the conversation dissipated.