Chapter 37

There was a darkness that swirled around my fingertips, not visible to the eye but tangible enough that I felt like I could taste it

My father was still on the ground looking up at me with a strange look in his eyes- it wasn't anger at all, but excitement. The look confused me and was not the least bit comforting. A smile, still remarkably similar to Harry's, spread across his lips and the darkness in his eyes, I expect, resembled mine.

"You're more like me than you think, Eloise. Consider me a proud father."

He rose from the ground but didn't approach the cage again, seeming as though he'd learned his lesson. I ached for the feeling of strength that had now left me. Fatigue and pain filled me now.

"You're not my father. You're barely a sperm donor," I grumbled, "I don't even know your name."

"My name is Johnathan."

"Well Johnathan," I smiled sweetly, "let me out of the fucking cage!"

I banged on the metal again but he didn't flinch or give any inclination that he had heard me. His toothy smile just seemed to grow. I groaned and turned my back on him, sliding down the fence wall to sit on the concrete.

Dear old Dad was still being extraordinarily stubborn and not letting me (his prisoner) go. To his credit, he really would be a terrible villain if he did.

I put my head in my hands. If he'd just tell me why he'd taken me, I could at least make sense of something. He'd hardly answered my questions, and I didn't expect him to start. What I really didn't expect was the voice that came from behind me.

"Lou?" It sounded like a question, but I knew that voice anywhere.

I shot to my feet, my heartbeat quickening, and turned with a sigh of relief to see Tucker standing in the warehouse's doorway. He was far away but I could still make out the features on his face. To my surprise, he did not immediately start ripping Johnathan to shreds, but I suppose my father had a few tricks up his sleeve that rendered Tucker wary. Instead, Tucker walked calmly around the metal crates to where my father stood. The two of them faced each other, and if looks could kill... it would've blasted Johnathan from existence.

Tucker Joy jerked his head toward the fence surrounding me. 

"Let her out. Now."

His words were harsh but Johnathan barely blinked, much to his credit. I hated seeing Tucker near him. I knew what Johnathan could do. He was powerful- more powerful than me and, for some reason, he was working with someone who seemed to want the Joys dead. Johnathan especially did not seem very keen on taking orders from Tucker.

"Give it to me and she will be, Dog."

I cringed at the familiar nickname but realized that I was certainly not in this cage so my father could get to know me. There was something he wanted from Tucker- something that was an equal trade for me.