T w o

Nicholas pov:

Sighing, I sat down, taking my place at the front of the crowd. I could see America sitting on Maxon's right and Kriss on his left. I didn't even want to bother appearing here, but most of all I didn't want to see my best friend getting engaged to the woman I admired from far yet it was hopeless after all – the inevitable, as most people would call it, or so I had thought.

I wasn't paying attention to any of the words that he was uttering but it definitely caught me off guard when he voiced "I...I...choose...Kriss". My head shot up to witness what was taking place right before my very eyes. I noticed America crying?! I was utterly appalled as I blinked my eyes a few times to comprehend if what I was perceiving was absolute. I was so sure it would have been America, they were so irrevocably in love ... or was it just an act? I peered at Maxon to verify whether he regretted his decision, however he looked triumphant instead. He reckoned as if he won a battle, but his eyes trailed America as she left, bursting into a sprint. I saw the slightest hint of worry in his eyes but it disappeared as soon as it appeared, as if it wasn't even there in the first place. I stood up and traced her steps, though before heading out I looked Maxon straight in the eye and shook my head disappointedly at his choice. He just shrugged it off, which caused my glare to intensify and emotions to heighten at his lack of care, and where his loyalty really lies.

I trudged out to see her walking towards the garden. I gave her some time to think, and absorb the information and let the reality sink in before I walked in. She was sobbing while downhearted whimpers echoed into the deepest corners of the night. It made me feel worse that this was brought upon her by my best friend – or ex best friend now. Their love for each other was obviously undeniable; they were soulmates meant to be, but what could I say. I'm pretty sure I caught her attention by stepping on some dry leaves; I cursed under my breath – so much for going unnoticed.

Initially I didn't know how to act, but then I decided to place my hand on her shoulder, hoping it might console her, yet she still flinched while her body tensed up. I sat down next to her without asking, knowing from my own experience that all she needed now was a friend.

As the last peek of the rays began to disappear, it truly felt like she was on flames, her fiery red hair giving out a shimmering ablaze. The blue in her eyes held a deep mysterious depth, yet now they held a peculiar and foreign hollowness in them. My heart reached out to her in sympathy. America wasn't one who gave up yet now she resembled a quitter; a quieter version of herself as if all chances of hope were diminished. She had lost that spark, that glimmer of liveliness and flicker of joyous sensations, for which I will forever loathe Maxon for what he did to her! At this melancholy moment, I would do anything to see her delicate face light up with her rosy smile and her stubbornness to return – and so I came up with a delirious plan...