T w e n t y

Maxon's POV:

Maxon's POV:

"Whoa..." I felt someone whisper but later came to the realization that it was me. Wow was all I could think, as America walked towards us. She looked mesmerizing like she was carrying the whole universe upon her shoulders and it wouldn't matter any less. Radiant and striking as the morning's first rays in the early spring days. I was completely spell bounded by her beauty; she was the only one who could take my breath away as swiftly and beautifully as she did. 

I saw her gazing at me intensely, practically trying to bore holes in my head. Even from this far, I could see the way her darkened eyes raked over me with surprised frustration. I frowned. I looked beside me and saw the root cause of her anger - Kriss - she was clinging on to me as if I were a branch. As realization struck me I felt myself smirk ever so lightly. 

I glance back at her face and felt myself wanting to pounce on Nicholas - best friend or not. Her dark circles - clearly obvious - hung underneath her gorgeous, tired-looking eyes - yet unspeakably filled with determination - which was covered with makeup. That's my girl, I almost mumble under my breath before I catch myself from adding more tension to the already thickened air.

And the colour in her hair which was pulled back into a loose bun behind her head looked five shades dull from the vibrant colour it used to be, her waist was unnaturally tiny which made me wonder if she lost weight or if she was wearing a corset which according to my mum was a death trap; she told me how her mother in law made her wear one on her wedding day because she was too fat, but she gushed about how father literally almost banished his mother because of what he said to my mother. 

I love America for who she is. I knew she would never even dream of wearing that unless she was forced to - which made me come to the conclusion which I was fearing! Was Nicholas forcing her to do something she doesn't want to? I looked at the diamond tiara elegantly set upon her delicate head; it wasn't as big as her crown but it definitely weighed something. 

Thoughts upon thoughts filled my mind and rage suddenly began to swim in my irises. From the corner of my eyes, I saw America glance at my clenched fists - a frown baring her eyebrows at the action before disappearing as quickly it had come - and immediately I felt all the air rush out of me; I didn't even know I had been holding my breath. 

Gosh, I missed her...

They, after a quick conversation with my mother - which did nothing to lessen the tension, if not add - were quick to settle into the seats of the car that had just arrived and we soon followed. The car ride was awfully silent. I kept stealing glances at America - which of none she returned as expected - ; at one point I felt myself grip onto the seat of the car, my knuckles taking no time to turn clear white, when I saw Nicholas whispering something in America's ear which in reply she let out a little laugh, the sound seeming musical and poisonous at the same time, after all, it was him who made her chuckle, not me

And it will always remain that way, my stupid consciousness did nothing but add fuel to the fire as my mood seemed to dampen with every passing second. And she did not even notice once; barely a glance in my direction. The rage I felt pent up soon disappeared as it filled with sadness and longingness instead. Did I really not matter to her one bit now? Did she really not care about me anymore? I felt tears prick at the treacherous thought and looked outside the window instead before my eyes betrayed me and let those useless teardrops fall. 

If only I had looked behind at that moment; maybe then I would've seen the hidden water droplets in her eyes too, and the same need and longingness in her eyes, maybe even more. 

- Timeskip -

The car had just stopped, the driver announcing our arrival, preventing me from tearing apart the parts of the seat my hands had latched onto unknowingly when the emotions became too much to handle. I quietly observed America as she held onto Nicholas - her eyes ran all over the place as if she hasn't been here before - as we walked past the garden.

I saw her immediately avert her eyes; looking at a painting of me when I was about 18. When she caught my eye, her almost expressionless face took a turn as she gave me the dirtiest look. I flinched, hurt brimming in my eyes. What did I do to make her hate me so much-

Oh, that's right ... I betrayed her trust, got engaged to a person I don't even love and let the love of my life marry my best friend ... it's an understatement to say that I've messed up. I looked at her again hoping to catch her eye. And I when surprisingly did, I wasted no time before I slowly reached up to tug my ear. She looked at me as if I was crazy but then she returned the gesture hesitantly. I silently gasped.

"Nicholas, you can join me inside and America can join us tomorrow," Father said as I saw Nicholas give him a brief nod. "America, my love, it won't take long. I'm sure Maxon can show you to our room," he whispered into America's ear - my body trembled viciously when I had the word our as I forced me to bring myself under control before I did something I would regret later - and left shortly as she mumbled out a 'yes'. 

As we heard the door click shut, Kriss declared she had to be somewhere and left and I was perfectly fine with that as Kriss disappeared from around the corner. I would've been suspicious had I not already have clogs turning in my head as plan after plan formed in my head. America spun on her heels, walking without direction, quietly humming some tune that I didn't recognize as I quickly followed her steps. Before I would change my mind, I grabbed onto her wrist simultaneously spinning her around which made her gasp in surprise.

 "What the hell Maxon," she yelled, slightly breathless from how fast I spun her ... or how close I held her.

"We need to talk," was my only response as my eyes filled with a familiar emotion at the feel of her body pressed tight against mine.

-------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hello dear readers as you might have seen our cover changed but we want your honest opinion on whether to change it or leave it the same. Please do tell us which cover you like. We really appreciate your opinions.

We deeply apologize for such a late update! N: I wasn't feeling well and we kept having family trips so I just couldn't make enough time to write! To make up for it, I promise to have an early update for this week! I am really really sorry!

Please accept my sincerest of apologies and thank you for giving this book a chance! Have a good day/night ahead guys!

~P&N~