T h i r t y - F o u r

America's POV:

Since the moment we had arrived at the palace, Nicholas and I had been completely occupied with a foot deep of work trying to resolve this crisis. We were thinking of bringing in our troops but only if it was necessary.

Roaming around the palace with not a destination in mind, I zoomed through the corridors like a train with no direction. Trying to get some air and clear my head, I obviously had no idea where I was going. It was one of the things I did when my stress had reached it's peak or I was on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Right now, it felt like both of them in one.

Before I knew it, I was in front of two large glass doors that were all too familiar to me. Signaling the guards to open the doors immediately, I dismissed their countless attempts to warn me of the dangers as it was barely midday

The warmth of the sun on my skin and the slight breeze in the air had me instantly taking a deep breath and closing my eyes. The distinct fragrance of nature loosening the rest of my stretched, aching muscles, I stumbled across a path and continued on it, sitting on a bench when I felt my feet screaming.

I wish I had braced myself when the feeling of déjà vu washed over me. The first time I had been in this spot was the same day I had arrived in this palace.

A humorless chuckle escaped me as I remember meeting Maxon, the day it all began. And of course, all the yelling and blaming him profusely for something that was out of his grasp.

I tried, but I couldn't find it in my heart to regret that night, not for one second.

I sat outside for what felt like an hour, but was probably about fifteen minutes.

Trying to gather my thoughts and escape the clutches of the past where those memories seemed intent on drowning me, I felt a lump catch at the base of my throat. I shake my head, knowing this is neither the time or place for getting emotional and taking a trip down the memory lane.

I sighed as the future didn't seem so bright either. I would have to recompose myself only to go back to those dreadful meetings and have King Clarkson pin point my flaws being his arrogant self, and make me feel inferior. Nothing new.

Biting my lip to prevent another sigh, I start heading towards the meeting room.

When everything around was starting to turn unfamiliar, I knew I had taken a wrong turn and it was too late to undo it. Lost, and panicking in fear of not making it on time to the meeting, I hit my head against something hard.

Thanks to four inch heels o decided to wear today because I make the best decisions ever, I quickly lose balance and fall to the floor. My hand reaches out to rub my hips which took most of the fall.

Looking up when I heard someone grunt, I realized it was not some random guard I smacked into, but the devil himself; Maxon Schreave.

I sat upright on the floor, not making a move to stand up.

One, I was too lazy. Two, it gave my time to not throw myself over the edge and say something in this panic of mine.

"Are you okay?" Maxon asked, breaking the silence.

Keeping my eyes on the floor, I replied.

"Yeah, I'm alright. Sorry, I wasn't looking-"

He shushed me pretty quickly, saying it was fine.

A clear of throat had me looking up without thinking, and immediately dropping my eyes to hand held out to me.

I bit my lip, trying not to make too much of a simple moment. Reaching out, I gently slid my hand in his. He hoisted me up, and since I was still learning how to walk in these death traps more often known as heels, I fell again. Just this time... right into his arms.

Before I knew it, my feet were tripping over each other as I smacked my face against his chest. When it vibrates though. I look up to find intense eyes filled with mirth locked onto me with a cheeky smile. Glancing down, I realize my hands were on his chest, and there was absolutely no space between us - not even a breath of air could've passed through us.

"Ouch," I mumbled, retracting myself slowly, my mind and body at war as I debated the feeling of being in his arms and the feeling of not being his. He steadied me holding my shoulders, hands slipping a little lower to check if I was alright... at least I think it was to check.

"Clumsy as always I see," he joked, rather mocking me. Bruising my already shattered confidence, my reddening cheeks had no shame I tried and failed to hide them.

"Shut up," I muttered.

"What are you doing in this side of the palace anyways?"

"I went to get some air and got lost," I summarized restlessly, my panic returning as I realize I was going to be late big time.

"Hey, hey, calm down, what's wrong?" Looking away from his worried face, I stuttered, my eyes moving all over the place. "The meeting... late... if... King Clarkson..."

Before I had lost all control of myself, I felt the slightest of brush against my cheeks, my neck then my forehead; my body relaxing instantly.

"Come on, let's get going," his hand caught mine without hesitation as we walked forward. Me trying to calm my erratic heart, him slightly swinging our arms back and forth.

I stopped in my tracks when I felt like something was wrong... something was missing.

"Ameri-" An ear splitting noise cracked over the air, echoing all around the palace, too booming to be the sound of a vase hitting the ground. And that's when I realized what it was: a bomb.

It took me one moment to freeze, one moment to comprehend that the palace was being attacked, the alarm was ringing, and the cries and commotion in the palace was the different kind.

"America, America, come with me. The southern rebels-"

"My babies, Maxon, what's going to happen to my babies... and where is Nicholas?"

-------------------------

A/N: Sorry that this chapter is on the shorter side but the next one is definitely going to be long

~P~