I Can't Go To Class If I'm Crippled

School. The one place Janis dreaded more than anything. The days blended together. She never paid attention in her classes, she'd never need to know half the stuff anyway. But then came the time that she hated the most: lunchtime. Also known as one big free-for-all. No teachers to watch over them, no safety net. She was like a wounded gazelle in a pack of lions. Cady told her that metaphor one day, and she'd adopted it because it was scarily accurate. But the gazelle never had to face Regina George.

Regina was worse than a lion in Janis' eyes. The pain she'd suffered from Regina felt worse than being viciously dismembered. At least with the gazelle, they could suffer intense pain in a few minutes and then it would all be over. With Janis, the trauma had lingered since 7th grade. Since Regina's all-girl pool party. Every day became a struggle to stay alive in her habitat. Four whole years of wearing a big, red bullseye on her chest. Four whole years of being called the space dyke with 4 butts. Four whole years of therapy, of okay days and bad days and really bad days. Janis hated Regina with every bone in her body.

She walked into the cafeteria hesitantly that day, walking as quickly as she could past the Plastics table towards where Damian and Cady were sitting. She'd brought her sketchbook and a tray of several tiny cups of paint, intending to work on her art project during lunch. She balanced them effortlessly on her arm, so used to holding onto them for dear life over the years. Janis made it to the very edge of the table when the all-too-familiar iciness of Regina's voice rang in her ears.

"Where do you think you're going, lesbo? Why in such a rush? Afraid you're going to smooch on me or something?" Regina stood up menacingly, walking slowly around the table to be face to face with Janis. Janis was tall, 5'9" to be exact, but Regina's 4 inch heels gave her exactly the right amount of leverage to look down with disgust at her ex-best friend. "Janis, I can't help it if you're in love with me. But seriously, you need to let it go." Gretchen and Karen giggled behind her.

As Regina spoke, an eerie hush fell amongst the rest of the cafeteria. Janis could see everyone's heads turned towards her and Regina, waiting anxiously for something good to happen. And by good, obviously, they meant humiliating. She could see Cady holding Damian back, the fire in his eyes growing. She knew she looked desperate for help, but it was inevitable. There was nothing he could do or say that wouldn't make it worse for her. She looked at Cady, thankful for her presence. Her fearful gaze softened slightly as she stared at Cady's features.

Her soft cheeks, a faint rosiness spreading across them. Her hair, that gorgeous auburn hair that flows down her shoulders so naturally and smoothly, without her even trying. And her eyes...God, those eyes. Bluer than the oceans, almost glimmering in the fluorescent light. Now they were filled with sympathy, wishing they could do something other than just look at Janis, who was frozen in the middle of the cafeteria.

Within seconds, Regina's wicked cadence broke Janis' trance. "Aw, Janis, you didn't tell me you had a girlfriend!" Regina raised her voice to be crisp and babyish, clearly intent on mocking her.

"She's not..." Janis' words cut out on her. They did that far too often.

It was then that Regina noticed Janis' supplies tucked under her arm. "Were you going to paint some dyke-y picture of her that you can frame by your bed and make out with when you go to sleep? God, you're pathetic."

Janis was suddenly shoved to the ground from behind. The sketchbook and paints along with her lunch tray flew out of her arms. Her ankle cracked hard underneath her as she fell on it. It immediately started going numb.

Numbness. She despised numbness. You feel nothing, and yet, you feel everything. It hurts so bad that it doesn't hurt at all. Did she even have a foot anymore? She could see it there, still attached to her body. But it felt like there was nothing but empty space. Salty tears began forming at the corners of her eyes. She shut them tightly, knowing full well that Regina would mock her further if she saw them fall.