If You Were Invisible, I'd Be Sure To Let You Know

Goddamn it's been t o o l o n g. I promise I'm not dead, I've just been literally the worst human on this planet when it comes to writing. I'm sorry y'all please forgive me with this absolute mess of a chapter. 

TW: homophobic slurs/bullying

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another day, another ambush of chaos in the hallways of North Shore High. As usual, Damian holds onto Cady and Janis protectively, guiding them both through the halls as they struggle to match his pace. Cady has basically burrowed herself into the nest of Damian's arm, while Janis strides along beside them, rambling eagerly about something that happened in some ridiculous news story she saw on TV. Damian pretends like he's paying attention, though he keeps his eyes glued to the crowd of students, his gaze scanning like a surveillance camera.

As Damian's eyes dart nervously to and fro, he can't help but shake the nagging feeling in the back of his mind that something about the way that the other students are glaring at them, especially in Janis' direction, is different. Just the look in their eyes, the way they all seem to be glued around Janis is enough to send small shivers down his spine. Damian tries to shrug it off as he takes a deep breath and carries on, though he's extremely distracted by the ominous heat that the others seem to radiate onto the three of them. The more suspiciously fierce the glares get, the more Damian tightens his sheltering grip on Janis' shoulder.

Luckily for him, Janis seems to be having no such qualms, still describing the news segment to Cady in vivid detail, her eyes lit up in a way that Damian rarely sees from her. He forces himself to tune back into the conversation, forgetting about the glares of the other students until Janis' rambling cuts off suddenly, a tall figure shoving her roughly against the wall. Damian immediately recognizes the figure as one of Shane's jock cronies. Uncharacteristically, however, he doesn't yell at Janis, simply continuing to walk with more force than usual.

The way he walks, the level of aggression and power in each step, only worsens Damian's gut feeling, his gaze shifting towards the taller boy like a hawk. He walks straight into Janis, almost as if he can physically pass through her, almost like she's flat out invisible.

And that's when Damian realizes.

"Fuck," he mutters, placing his fingertips to the side of his head.

"What?" Cady asks him, her eyes filling with worry.

"We've gotta go, we've gotta move now, before-" Damian is cut off by the sound of a harsh thud, and in the blink of an eye, his best friend is curled up on the floor in a discombobulated heap. Damian pulls her up quickly, taking a second to make sure that she's okay before continuing to weave through the crowd, much more frantically than before.

"Damian, what's going on?!" Cady shouts worriedly.

"I'll explain later, right now we have to keep moving," he replies bluntly, practically dragging the two girls like they're tethered behind him. Following the jock's lead, other students begin to run into Janis like she's a cloud of air. From what Cady can infer, they're all doing it on purpose, which only makes her more afraid. Damian weaves messily through the crowds, Cady and Janis in tow, until they reach their English class, meant to be a brief reprieve from the anarchy of the halls.

However, as soon as the trio walk in, they're greeted by Kevin Gnapoor screaming, "OH DAMN IT'S A FLOATING BACKPACK!" completely out of nowhere, which sends the whole class into a mixture of howling laughter and phony terror. Damian immediately whizzes a pencil in Kevin's direction that grazes his shoulder, ignoring the angered huff that follows.