Merry Christmas, You Absolute Soft-Serve

Merry Christmas kiddos! I'm literally squealing as I write this this is how trash I am for this ship. Also we're like insanely close to 3k reads which is insane considering how awful I am at updating so thank you so much for that!! Enjoy my Christmas present to y'all!
—————————————————————————————————————————-——————-
"Janis! Janis, wake up, it's Christmas!"

"Five more minutes..." Janis moaned sleepily.

"Not five minutes, now! Come on, I wanna find out what you got me!"

"Caddy, it is 7am and we don't have to be at school. Give me just five minutes to not look like a zombie and then we can open all the presents in the world."

"Fine."
—————————————————————————————————————————-——————-
Precisely seven minutes and forty-three seconds later (not like Cady's been counting), Janis comes downstairs to see Cady excitedly shaking a small, rectangular box wrapped in paint-splattered wrapping paper under the Sarkisians' Christmas tree. Holly and her mom have gone out to the park to test out Holly's new Razor scooter, so they have the house to themselves.

"Careful, you gorilla, you're going to break it."

Cady frowns at Janis' late arrival. "I am not a gorilla! And you just gave me a hint, so ha!" Cady shouts as she sets the box down gently.

"Okay, wait, I'm filming this so we can look back on it if we ever get married someday." Janis hesitates briefly, her cheeks reddening. "Too forward for our first Christmas?"

"Baby, your cheeks are redder than Rudolph's nose. It would be nice to get married one day, but we don't have to rush it," Cady says as she giggles, patting the carpet next to her to invite Janis to sit.

"That sounds good. Since you're clearly not excited about these gifts at all, I think I should go first," Janis smiles slyly as she sits, reaching for a tacky gift bag and tauntingly tearing a small piece of the tissue paper.

"Janis!" Cady shrieks, slapping her hand away playfully.

"Caddy!" Janis shrieks in the exact same mocking tone as she starts the recording.

"I'm going first," Cady declares, eagerly tearing the wrapping paper off the box to reveal a package with a picture of a black orb that looks similar to a spotlight on the front. The package reads: "Starlight Projector".

"You've always said how you miss the stars from Africa, so I thought I'd bring them here. You put it in your room and it projects onto your ceiling," Janis explains as Cady's face lights up more than the stars themselves.

"They're so pretty!" Cady squeals, admiring the pictures on the sides of the box.

"You like it? Here, I have something else for you, too," Janis says as she passes a large, flat rectangle wrapped neatly in brown paper to Cady. "Try to actually be careful when you open this one, please, love."

Cady puts the first box down and studies Janis' face for signs of alarm as she carefully tears the wrapping, much more slowly than the projector. The wrapping slowly reveals a painting of a starry night sky, and the backs of a strawberry-blonde girl and a girl with two-toned hair like Janis' sitting on the dusty, African savanna-like grass, admiring them. The auburn-haired girl's head is rested delicately on the blonde-and-brunette-haired girl's shoulder, and there's a loving hand placed on top of the reddened curls. The sky is a brilliant royal blue blended seamlessly with a deep purple, with graceful flecks of white throughout.

"Janis, you didn't-"

"Yeah, I did. Merry Christmas, Caddy."

Cady carefully sets the painting down, wrapping her arms around Janis' neck. "Thank you so much, Jan. I love it, and I love you."

Janis giggles bashfully, blushing to her roots. "You're welcome."

"It's your turn, blushy. Here." Cady sets down a small, flat square box and a tacky Christmas gift bag stuffed with red tissue paper that Janis can't help but laugh at. She takes the still-recording phone from Janis, turning it to film her now.

Janis chooses to open the gift bag first, tearing into it much slower than Cady had been opening her own gifts. Inside is a clear box with a set of five wooden paintbrushes of different thicknesses, clearly of quite good quality. Each one of them has "J + C" with a heart around the letters engraved at the base. Janis opens the box, taking the brushes out and twists them elegantly around her fingers, brushing the soft bristles against the palms of her hand to test them out.

"How...How did you get these?"

"I've been saving for a while. The engraving was extra, but it was totally worth it."

"I...these are beautiful, I love them," Janis says quietly as she sets them back in the box, picking up the other little box with just a bow around it. She takes the bow off slowly and opens it up, pulling out a small, silver locket. Engraved on the front in incredibly small, elegant lettering is "wapumbavu kwa upendo".

"It means 'stupid with love'," Cady says, smiling proudly. "Open it."

Janis opens it up and sees pictures from her and Cady's first date and first kiss. An incredibly small piece of paper slips out when she opens it, and she picks it up, unfolding it into an extremely skillfully folded index card with a note on it. Janis is already smiling at the fact that she used one of her precious index cards that she reserves for Mathletes on something for her, but the writing itself manages to bring tears to her eyes.

"Dear Janis, Jan, Jay, babe, darling, mpenzi, and so many other beautiful names yet to come,

Merry first Christmas together. There are so many things I could say to you, but I can only manage to fit an index card inside the locket you've already opened, so my time is limited. I've written as small as I could but you know my handwriting is massive. Anyway, here's what's important: you've made these past several months the most treasured and the best months of my life. You're there for me through thick and thin, and you always know just what to say to make me smile and to calm me down. You've brought so much joy into my life and so many memories that can never be erased. I would give up so much just to have you. I love you more than my own words can describe, Janis Heidi Sarkisian. Literally, because you know I'm awful at English compared to you. You're smart, beautiful, talented, kind, funny, and special, and I'm so lucky to have you. I love you to the sky and back and back again, and miles and miles forever.

Love, Caddy, love, flower, butterfly, Bambi, Nala, and even more beautiful names yet to come.

"Caddy, this is...I have no words," Janis says as her eyes redden and glaze over slightly.

"Are you crying? Did I make the tougher-than-nails, strong, badass Janis Sarkisian cry actual tears with my terrible English skills?"

"Mm, maybe...yes," Janis smiles as a couple tears fall.

"Come here, you absolute soft-serve," Cady says as Janis rests her head on her shoulder, slouching because of the height difference. Cady puts her hand behind Janis' head, stroking her hair.

"Soft-serve?"

"Just go with it. I don't know American yet."

Janis chuckles tearily as both girls stare at the Christmas tree, unanimously deciding that this has been the best first Christmas ever.