I Feel Like I've Just Barfed Up A Novel

TW: references to bullying, self harm and anxiety attacks/meds/near overdoses

Janis and Cady sat in the art room after school, Cady propping herself up elegantly on a wobbly stool and trying her absolute best to remain as still as possible, and Janis in a deep state of concentration, eyeing up her masterpiece. It was only in its beginning stages, but it was already more than beautiful in Janis' eyes. Sure, offering to paint Cady by claiming she needed a new muse was a lame excuse to analyze Cady's chiseled features, but it was something. She was honestly surprised that Cady had bought it. But then again, she wasn't. Being the new kid from Africa gave her a massive disadvantage when it came to socialization with her peers. She had no idea about the concepts of sarcasm or fake excuses; knowledge, or lack thereof, which Janis had maybe...sort of...definitely exploited for her own personal gain. It gave her a reason to stare intensely at every little detail in the face and body of Cady Heron without being seen as a creep.

Her overall curvature, slender, but not too much so, the dainty posture she held atop the stool, the sun-kissed freckles that sporadically dotted her face, and, most importantly, the eyes that could make Janis melt into a puddle right then and there. She could have finished the entire painting in just under an hour. Instead, she worked slowly on purpose, still barely finished with the painted outline after almost two full hours. She needed all the time she could get with Cady. Being this intimate with her was a rarity, and she cherished every second.

"Janis, can we take a break? I've been sitting straight up on this hard stool forever, my back is starting to hurt," Cady complained in the nicest way possible, snapping Janis out of the trance she'd entered, both from painting and staring at Cady.

"Um, yeah, sure," Janis muttered. "You can come look at it so far if you want, I'm starting to fill stuff in."

Cady immediately slouched, relaxing her muscles. "You're sure I won't ruin it if I get up?"

Janis shook her head. "No, no, you're fine. Worst case scenario, I'd have to start all over again, but that's unlikely. I've got pretty much everything laid out," she sighed. She was kind of hoping she'd have to start over, but that would just be rude to keep Cady for that long while she redid it. Cady got up off the stool, stretching her back out for a minute before walking over to be next to Janis. Janis felt a sort of tingle as they got closer.

"Wow, Jan, this is amazing! You're so talented!" Janis blushed a little, smiling as she dismissed the compliment. "No, I'm not really...there are people way better than me."

"Jan, you're so good! Art therapy must have really worked for you!" Cady smiled, innocence beaming through her eyes. The compliment seemed completely out of the blue, but that was how Cady was. She tended to just blurt things out like that, not knowing any better.

Janis' face fell sharply. "What do you mean?!Who told you...?"

Cady's innocence dulled slightly as she spoke. "I was over at Regina's house with Gretch and Karen, and I asked what happened to make you not like her, and she just started talking about 8th grade and that you overreacted about not being invited to some pool party because she could only have, like, six people." Cady spoke bluntly, telling it like it was, perhaps a bit too much.

Janis' eyes filled with fire at the utter lies Cady was spewing. God, she was so gullible. So adorably gullible. "Caddy, listen, you can't just believe everything you hear. Sometimes there's more to the story than meets the eye." Janis' tone was unintentionally cold, filled with rage. Sure, she didn't know Cady that well, but neither did Regina. How could she trust Regina more than she trusted her?