You Have My Permission To Slap Me Awake

The day started out seemingly normal, Janis and Cady hiding under the darkness of the metal bleachers outside of school, their typical spot for when they didn't feel like going to class, or when they just felt the urge to kiss each other forever without the accompanying judgmental glares of their peers. Today, it was both. Both girls felt like they were in heaven, alone at last, resisting the urge to go any further in case Coach Carr caught them. While the spot wasn't quite fully hidden, it was good enough for them. Their warm lips touched for what felt like hours until Cady suddenly pulled away, staring off into space.

"Hey, Caddy, why'd you stop?" Janis asked as Cady moved further away from her. She got up from under the bleachers, leaving Janis there, confused and lustful, until she heard hacking coughs. She sprung up immediately and ran to Cady's side. Cady stumbled as she coughed hard, her throat constricting and her skin going whiter than paper except for a pale blue lining her lips. Janis put a hand on her shoulder. "Cads, what's happening?!"

But Cady couldn't respond. She doubled over, gagging suddenly. Janis pounded her back, shaken up with fear. Cady's eyes rolled back in her head and she hit the ground hard. A growing puddle of blood lay beside Cady's head. Janis nearly gagged at the sight of the blood, but her focus quickly returned to Cady as she shook her frantically. "Caddy, hey, wake up! Wake up! Oh my god, Caddy please wake up!"

Janis felt up and down Cady's wrist, checking rapidly for a pulse. There was none. She went to pull out her phone from her jacket pocket where she always kept it, but it was mysteriously gone. "I'll be right back! Don't die on me, please!" She pressed a quick kiss to Cady's knuckles before she sprinted to the entrance of the school, tugging on the doors, but they wouldn't budge. Why wouldn't they open? They never lock the doors during school hours. She tugged harder and harder until the doors disappeared in a void of blackness.

Janis ran back to Cady, who was now completely motionless on the ground. Kneeling beside her, she began to attempt CPR. She'd never done this before, and by now she was panicking. There was no way she was doing it right. Cady jerked awake, sitting up for all of a couple seconds. "Janis...I love you," she gagged out before coughing up something awful-looking into her palm and collapsing back down, the ground practically swallowing her. Janis grabbed her girlfriend's hand before she disappeared, and she was pulled in, too.

Suddenly, all she could see was blackness. No Cady, no anything. She couldn't even see herself. She was still falling into nowhere, a bottomless pit. Everything and everyone she'd known was gone. Everything was numb, she felt like she was drowning even though there was no water.

And then she was in her bed, sitting up straighter than a ruler and screaming at the top of her lungs with Cady by her side, pulling away from her shoulder. She looked around the room dazedly as Cady turned the lamp on on the nightstand.

"Shh, Jan, baby, calm down." Cady placed a hand on Janis' shoulder, which was rising and falling sharply with panic. Janis sobbed loudly as she collapsed into Cady, who wrapped her arms around her shaking body and rubbed her arm in an attempt to get her to stop screaming. "You're okay, you're safe here. Did you have a nightmare or something?"

Janis nodded quickly, her screams fading and turning into hyperventilated, breathless sobs. Cady held her close, hoping her presence was serving some sort of purpose. After several minutes of sobbing, Janis calmed down some, holding onto Cady so tight that Cady's arm started to go numb.

"You wanna talk about your nightmare?" Cady whispered.

"We were making out under the bleachers and then you started coughing a lot and I couldn't help you and you just died and the ground ate you," Janis managed to mumble between quiet sobs. "I'm sorry if I scared you. This happens a lot." She took a deep breath and her sobs faded slowly.

When Cady was sure Janis had calmed down, she spoke again. "Scared is an understatement. You were full on screaming and kicking so hard that you knocked the blankets off the bed, and you kept saying 'Caddy, Caddy, don't leave me' in your sleep and that woke me up."

"I'm glad you were here though. I don't know what I would've done if you weren't."

"Probably fallen out of bed."

Janis chuckled a little. "What time is it?"

"Oh, only 4am," Cady said, groggily and sarcastically.

"Hey, a new record! I barely make it past 3 most times. I guess you going on vacation back to Africa really messed with me."

"I'm back now, aren't I? So it's okay. You don't have to worry about me choking to death and getting eaten by the ground anytime soon."

"I love you, jungle freak."

"I love you, art freak." She kissed Janis' lips softly. "You think you can go back to sleep now?"

"Maybe, but if I start crying out in my sleep again, you have my permission to slap me awake."

"Thanks for that, I feel so privileged." She got up and turned the lamp off. "Goodnight, crazy. Try and sleep well, okay? No more outbursts."

"I'll try my hardest. Goodnight."
————————————————————————————————————————————————
Hey kids, a shorter oneshot for y'all courtesy of Jeffersonsmacaroni7 who requested this. If you haven't read their stuff, (which I can't possibly imagine you haven't unless you've been living under a rock) you should. It will physically and emotionally destroy you (in a good way). Send them some love and I hope you enjoyed this!