The Moment: Chapter Twenty Three

Sophie looked to her left, and shuddered. 

"Weren't we supposed to investigate that?" She asked, pointing to the trees they were passing by.

"Yeah... but we'll only go until you're ready." Fitz answered, pulling her into a hug when he saw her shudder again. She smiled, but it quickly faded as she realized something.

"But what if I can't? I mean look at me!!" Sophie shouted, letting go of Fitz as she threw her arms in front of her. "I can barely stand looking there." 

"And there's nothing wrong with that. You've been through so much Sophie. We almost lost you a few times. I almost lost you." Fitz stopped, turning to face Sophie. "If you can't stand it, then we won't go over. We'll just send the goblins or something." He looked up, and took Sophie's hand.

"Promise?" Sophie asked. She knew what his answer would be, but she needed to know. If something was happening between them, then she wanted to hear it. Wanted to hear him say it.

"I promise." Fitz said, smiling as her eyes lit up. He could now see the beautiful golden flecks that were scattered along the brown in her eyes. He smiled back. He gripped her hand tighter and led her down a path.

                                                                             ***

"Umm, Fitz, didn't we already go this way a couple minutes ago?" Sophie asked, scrunching her eyebrows as she tried to remember which way the went and came from.

"Nope. This place was designed this way so that only a few people know about it." Fitz explained, moving some branches out of the way for Sophie.

"And your the lucky few?" Sophie smirked. When she saw Fitz nod, she had a few guesses as to the people who told him. "Huh, well I can't wait to see this lucky place." Sophie said.

"Great! Because we're here." Fitz stepped on a vine that was near his foot, and the trees in front of him blurred. 

"Whooaaa." Sophie breathed. She knew she saw these in movies, but it was a little shocking knowing that it was happening right in front of her.

Fitz smiled, admiring the way Sophie was taking this. "It's an act of camouflage. And if someone stepped on it too heavily, they'd get trapped by a net that is hidden somewhere..." Fitz explained, stopping as he looked around.

"Well, how do we go in?" Sophie couldn't wait any longer. She nudged Fitz out of his trance. She laughed as he flinched.

"Ha ha, very funny." Fitz joked, running his hand through his hair. "All you have to do is walk in."

Sophie looked at him, and tilted her head down. She saw Fitz offering her his hand, and she took it. But instead of taking her hand, he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, keeping her close. She felt her face get hot, and her palms getting sweaty. 

"Ready?" Fitz questioned Sophie, blushing as she laid her head against his arm. 

"Yep."

Fitz nodded, leading her towards the blurry trees. Sophie closed her eyes, expecting to feel weird, but nothing happened. She felt Fitz's arms relax a little, and opened her eyes so that she was squinting. Water? She opened her eyes fully, and gasped.