Chapter 1: The Event

Hi everyone! How're you doing? I had this idea in my head for a while and now I finally, decide to write it. Hope you'll like this story :)

Disclaimer: I don't own HTTYD. All rights belong to Dreamworks and Cressida Cowell.

Chapter 1: The event

"I'm happy to declare Ms. Astrid Hofferson the best pilot of the state!" The man handed Astrid certificate, attached the gold badge on her pilot jacket and then shook her hand.

Everyone was clapping. Astrid was smiling at cameras and waving her hand.

Henry was watching all that sitting in the back row. His father insisted on him to come as the 'heir of the company' like he loved to say. Henry knew that his father was planning to give him the company but he wasn't a businessman and he didn't want to become a one.

Now he was working in his father's company, in Berk's Light-Sport Aircraft Manufacturer as an engineer. His job was repairing old sport aircraft and he loved his job.

Henry was always dreaming about becoming a pilot. The sense of freedom was always attracting him. However, his father never let him, being afraid that something will happen to him like happened to his mother.

Henry shook himself of the thoughts and continued to watch the blonde. She was gorgeous. He loved to watch how she's flying. She was doing all that rolls, loops, spins like it was nothing for her like she was just dancing.

Astrid was the tester of their aircraft. All the aircraft that they created or repaired she and some other people were testing before putting them on the sale.

His father was overjoyed that Astrid became the best pilot of the state. That was very good for the company. Many people were shaking hands with her and then with his father.

Henry stood up and wanted to leave when the voice of his father stopped him. "Hiccup!"

That nickname he got after an 'accident' when he was little. Now his all friends and relatives were calling him like that.

Hiccup turned to see his father trying to pass the crowd. When he finally stood in front of him he said.

"Son, this evening will be an event in Berk plaza. We'll be celebrating this achievement. I would like you to be there too."

"Dad but I don't want to be there," protested Hiccup. "I don't know anyone there and I don't want to go and stand there just to be present."

"Hiccup, as my son you need to be there," said Stoick seriously this time. "Today at 7 o'clock I want to see you in Berk plaza. Okay?"

"Okay," said Hiccup defeated. It was useless to argue with his father. He turned and went towards the exit. He was already leaving the building when he heard his father's voice.

"And don't be late!"

Hiccup sighed and left.

oOo

Hiccup entered his house. His father was rarely being at home. He was too busy with his job. His father was always on business trips, and if he wasn't, he was coming home late at night and leaving early in the morning.

The house was really big. However, it was cozy. On the first floor were the dining room, kitchen and his father's bedroom. Hiccup's bedroom was in the roof room. In his room were his bed, bookshelf, and his working desk.

Hiccup loved to work at night. He was always staying late at night and doing sketches and working on his projects. Hiccup always wished that one day he could design and create his own aircraft. It was his dream and he hoped that someday it would come true.

His desk was all in sketches of planes and dragons. Hiccup was amazed by those majestic creatures that lived a thousand years ago. His favorite dragon was Night Fury. It was a black mystical dragon about whom was known very few things. People were saying that he was the offspring of lighting and death itself.

In Hiccup's room, with him, was living his four-legged friend, Toothless, and when Hiccup entered the house he called.

"Toothless, I'm home," hearing his owner's voice Toothless, the black Labrador, ran from the kitchen and began to lick his owner.

"Okay, bud, that's enough," said Hiccup trying to stop his overjoyed dog.

"Sorry Toothless, but I'm gonna leave you again this evening," said Hiccup sadly. His dog understanding that his owner is going to leave him, whined.

"I know, I know, but my father wants me to be in that event," said Hiccup frustrated.

"Today at 7 o'clock I want to see you in Berk plaza," continued Hiccup imitating his father. Hiccup sighed and smiling at his dog said.

"Let's go to my room. You can help me in choosing what to wear. I don't want to get another lecture about what I've worn."

oOo

Hiccup checked the time on his phone and it was 18:45. He entered the Berk plaza. It was built two years ago and it was the most modern building in the Berk. After watching the plaza's architecture, Hiccup went to the room where should be passing the event.

His father was already there, talking with some people. Hiccup tried to unnoticeably pass near the crowd but his father noticed him and took him to his friends.

"This is my son, Henry," Stoick introduced his son. Hiccup shook hands with a stranger, fake smile on his face.

It passed already a half hour but his father was still continuing to talk with strangers and Hiccup had to shook hands with them. His cheeks were already aching because of the fake smiles. Hiccup understood that if he would not take measures he will be stuck there for really long.

"Um, dad, I have to go somewhere," said Hiccup to his father.

"Yeah, go," his father answered busy with talking to one of his business partners.

Hiccup quickly walked away trying to find a place when he can hide from his father. Suddenly he bumped into someone and they both fell on the floor.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," said Hiccup. He raised his head and noticed that in front of him was sitting Astrid. Hiccup quickly got up and helped her.

"Wow! Where were you rushing like that?" Asked Astrid standing up. She was wearing a simple red dress and her hair was in a side braid, like always.

"Um, I was trying to hide from my father," said Hiccup chuckling and rubbing back of his neck.

"Trying to hide from your father? Why?" Asked Astrid confused.

"If I stayed there any longer," said Hiccup gesturing the crowd. "I don't know how many handshakes and fake smiles I could handle." Why was he saying all that things to Astrid? He didn't know. Then Astrid chuckled and he chuckled too.

"I see your father is an important person," said Astrid. The conversation was already getting awkward.

"Yeah," answered Hiccup not knowing what else to say.

"I'm Astrid, Astrid Hofferson," said Astrid holding her hand in front of her.

"Yeah, the girl who's the best pilot of state," said Hiccup in his sarcastic tone.

"I see you already know me," Astrid said smirking.

"I'm Henry, Henry Haddock," said Hiccup shaking her hand.

"Your father is Stoick Haddock?" asked Astrid surprised.

"Yeah, that's him," answered Hiccup.

"He's a good man," said Astrid. After some awkward silence, she said. "Um, I have to go. See you later."

Saying that Astrid left. Hiccup returned to his father. After some more handshakes and fake smiles, he left the event.

When Hiccup arrived home it was already late. His overjoyed dog attacked him, again. He went upstairs to his room and laid on his bed. The only thought that was in his mind was that he talked with Astrid, with Astrid Hofferson.

So that was it. I hope you liked the beginning of the story. Please tell me what you think and until next time :)