Chapter 17: The Qualifying

"Ye're crazy!"

"Gobber, I know, but please. You know that-," Hiccup pleaded running after Gobber, who was hobbling towards his truck.

"I said no! And that's final!" Gobber yelled turning back to Hiccup. His hands were clenched into fists and he was breathing heavily. The old mechanic didn't get angry easily, and if he did, that was serious.

Since yesterday, Hiccup was thinking of a way to win the championship. Only being the fastest during the race wouldn't help. He needed to have a good performance in aerobatics too. If he wanted to be better than Astrid and Krogan, he needed to do something extraordinary, dangerous, and reckless. Something that no one had done before.

The only person who could help him was Gobber.

"Only doing Kulbit, I can win! And you know that!" Hiccup shouted, still running after his teacher. Even with his peg leg, he was fast.

They were in the old Aviation College again and after the training Hiccup decided to tell Gobber about his intentions. The outcome wasn't what he had expected. Gobber's eyes had widened and without even a second of doubt, his answer was a firm 'no'. Hiccup tried to persuade him, but he had no luck.

"I said NO!" Gobber yelled, getting tired of the boy running after him.

Hiccup came to halt. During all these 19 years of knowing Gobber, he had never seen him yell. The old pilot stopped and sighed. "I just donnae want ya getting hurt laddie..." he murmured quietly.

"I know. But it's the only way for me to win and you know that," Hiccup said his voice softer, the plea visible in it. Gobber looked at him over his shoulder. "Did I tell ya about the accident?"

Gobber didn't need to explain what he meant since Hiccup understood immediately. He shook his head. Gobber never talked about that and he didn't ask. The only thing he knew was that he crashed and lost his limbs. That is all. Gobber turned to him.

"Well. It was 25 years ago," he began his tale. "Yer father, mother and I were training fer tae incoming championship. I was known fer mah crazy aerobatics. I could say that I was even better in that than yer mother was." A small smile played on his lips.

"I decided tae da something that no one has ever done. The Kulbit. It is tae hardest aerobatic and it was dangerous on mah Culp Special. No one did it and I wanted tae be the first. Of course, yer dad and mom tried ta convince me out of that but I was too stubborn." Gobber sighed and looked into Hiccup's eyes.

"I got intae the plane and raised tae the skies. After warming up, I got ready. I adjusted tae plane and began turning. It all went well, till tae last seconds. The stick didn't move. I couldn't stop tae plane. I was plummeting down while spinning on crazy speeds. I couldn't da anything. I crashed. Tae next thing I remember was waking up in tae hospital and finding out that I no longer had mah foot and hand," Gobber finished his tale and put his hands on Hiccup's shoulders.

"Laddie, it's too dangerous and I don't want ye tae get hurt," he said, looking him into the eyes. Hiccup sighed and looked down. Many people would've already backed down after this tale but not Hiccup. He was too stubborn for his own good.

"Of course, ye'll still want to learn it. Ye're even more stubborn that both of yer parents...," Gobber murmured. However, he wouldn't even expect anything else. "I'll see ya tomorrow morning, at nine. Don't be late and get a good night's sleep. Ye'll need it. We have a lot tae learn." With that, Gobber got into his truck and drove home, leaving bewildered Hiccup staring after him.

oOo

Hiccup took his tray and headed towards his usual table-beside the window. He wasn't surprised seeing twins and Snotlout there too. Since Astrid began having lunch with him and Fishlegs, the others began joining too. It was quite fun having lunch with them.