Chapter 3: The Testing

Hiccup woke up because of a beeping sound. He groaned, rubbed his eyes, and raised his head. He had been asleep on his desk. Hiccup took his phone and turned off the alarm. It was 8:00. He looked down. Toothless was asleep curled near his legs. He carefully stood up trying to not wake him.

Yesterday he stayed until late at night. He was designing his aircraft. Hiccup already decided what type engine he will use, what flight instruments his aircraft will have, and how it will look. And he was very satisfied with the result.

Hiccup had a shower, got dressed, took the sketches that he had done last night and went downstairs. He was searching for his backpack when he saw Toothless running downstairs.

"I see you already have woken up," said Hiccup petting his dog that was already standing by his side. "Toothless can you help me find my backpack?"

Toothless barked and began to search. After a few minutes, he approached Hiccup holding the backpack in his mouth.

"Thanks, bud. I don't know what would I do without you," said Hiccup and took his backpack from Toothless' mouth. Its handle was all in saliva. "Not perfect, but it'll do."

Hiccup had a breakfast, filled Toothless' bowl, took his keys, and left the house.

oOo

Hiccup entered his room. Fishlegs wasn't there. He sat on the chair and opened his laptop. Instead of opening the files of the project that he had been working on, he opened a new file and began working on his aircraft. After fifteen minutes Fishlegs arrived, they talked a bit and then continued to work.

It was break time. Hiccup already had made a 3D model of his aircraft, decided which engine he will use, and found the places when he could get what he needed.

"Hey, Hiccup," said Fishlegs. "Are you coming?"

"Yes, of course," answered Hiccup and they went to the cafeteria.

They took their dishes and sat at their table, as always. Hiccup looked at the runway. No one was flying. He was a bit disappointed but he continued to eat. Suddenly he noticed Astrid in the line. She was talking to her friends. After a while, Astrid noticed him and waved. Hiccup waved too.

"I see she remembers you," said Fishlegs nudging Hiccup.

"And what?" asked Hiccup.

"Nothing," answered Fishlegs smirking and continued to eat.

After lunch, Fishlegs returned to their room and Hiccup went to the runway. At 3 o'clock it would be the testing of Aviasud Mistral that he repaired recently. It was still early, but he sat on a bench and began waiting.

oOo

Astrid checked the time on her phone. It was 14:45. There was still fifteen minutes until testing. Astrid just began to walk here and there. After some time, she noticed that someone is driving the plane to the runway. A minute later, the plane was already standing on the runway.

Suddenly she noticed Henry sitting on a bench. Astrid didn't know that he was working here, until this afternoon, when she saw him at the cafeteria. She decided to went and talk to him.

She approached Henry and sat beside him on the bench. He was reading something on his phone.

"Hi," she greeted

Hiccup raised his head and noticed her.

"Hi, Astrid," Hiccup greeted back.

"I didn't know that you're working here," said Astrid. She wanted to know what's his profession. Maybe he was a businessman like his father? Or an engineer?

"Yeah, I'm working here as an engineer," said Hiccup. So he was an engineer. In that case, what he was doing here? Astrid remembered their last encounter and what Hiccup had said about his father. Maybe he insisted on him to come?

"How I'm guessing, your father insisted on you to come here?" asked Astrid.

"Actually, no," said Hiccup. "It's just today will be testing an Aviasud Mistral that I repaired recently."

"You repaired that plane!?" asked Astrid surprised. "That's cool!"

"Um, thanks," said Hiccup rubbing back of his neck.

But wait, if he was an engineer, how he could repair the plane? How Astrid knew the engineers weren't repairing planes. They were designing them.

"But, Henry, if you're an engineer, how could you repair the plane?" asked Astrid confused.

"I'm not only an engineer," said Hiccup. "I'm also repairing the planes. I learned to do that since I was just a kid."

"In that case, I hope you don't want to kill me," said Astrid chuckling. "Because I'm the one who's gonna test it."

"Ah, don't worry your death will be fast," said Hiccup casually.

The smile disappeared from Astrid's face. Hiccup noticed that and began to laugh.

"I'm kidding," said Hiccup continuing to laugh. Astrid began to laugh too.

"You're maybe very excited. You are gonna test the first Ultralight Biplane that was in the geographic North Pole," said Hiccup.

"It's that same plane!?" asked Astrid surprised. Wow! Heather didn't tell her that she's gonna test that same plane.

"You didn't know?" asked Hiccup.

"No, I just knew that I need to test and Aviasud Mistral," said Astrid.

"Well, it's that same plane," said Hiccup.

Astrid wanted to say something, but the voice of the announcer interrupted her.

"Astrid Hofferson, please come to the runway. Testing will begin from three minutes."

"I need to go," said Astrid. She waved her hand and began to run to the runway. "See you later!"

"Good luck!" cried Hiccup after Astrid.

After a minute, Astrid was standing near the plane, panting. When she caught her breath, she opened the door and sat on the plane.

'Wow! Henry did a really good job,' Astrid though.

The plane was looking like new. Astrid put on her seatbelt and headphones.

"Astrid, are you ready?" It was Heather.

"Yep," said Astrid and did few checks. Everything was normal- fuel was full, brakes were working, and all avionics power was switched off. She started the engine and began to drive on the runway. After a few seconds, she was in the air.

Since this plane wasn't intended for aerobatics, Astrid just did few laps and landed. The plane was working perfectly, and it was very easy to control it.

She took off the headphones and seatbelt, and then get out of the plane. Everyone was clapping. She saw that many people were shaking hands with Henry and congratulating him. She wanted to congratulate him too, but there were too many people. So she just decided to leave and find Heather.

oOo

It was 6:20. Hiccup was sitting on his chair, exhausted. Fishlegs already had left. Testing passed successfully and after it, many people came to congratulate him. Because of that, he had to stand there an hour and shook hands with everyone.

Hiccup unplugged the drawing pad, closed his laptop, and put them in his backpack. He left the building and got into his car. Hiccup drove towards the field where he found the airframe, yesterday. He needed to pick and took it with him. But there was a problem, his car wasn't intended for that.

Also, there was another problem. He didn't know where to take the airframe. His garage was too small, and he couldn't work there, because he hadn't got instruments.

Then it dawned on Hiccup. There was only one person that could help him. He took his phone from the pocket, opened contacts, and called ...Gobber.

Ta da dam! Gobber made his debut! Please tell me what you think, and I'm accepting constructive criticism, as always. Until next time :)