7 - Friend Zoned

Since We're Alone // Niall Horan

Jacob has been breathing down my neck all morning, literally following me around the apartment grilling me on all things Brianna while shoving Doritos into his mouth one after another. And he's asking questions I just don't know the answer to, nor do I want to even think about right before I do what I'm about to do.

"Bro, don't you think this is moving kind of...fast?" Jacob asks. He's now sitting here on the chair in my room, watching as I throw all of my clothes into boxes scattered on the floor, dropping chips almost as fast as he's eating them. But after  today I won't have to clean up his messes.

"Maybe." If she and I were actually dating, I would agree one hundred percent. But we're not, so I don't. But I can't tell him that.

Non-disclosure agreement.

Although I'm pretty confident Jacob would keep our secret. I don't want to screw things up for Brianna, though, so I go along with the plan.

"Maybe? More like absolutely, but whatever, man. I guess you're second brain is doing all the thinking in this one." He's scoffing at me now.

I take a gulp of my protein shake, trying to keep myself from arguing with him. Of course, I'm not thinking what he's insinuating. This is a business deal. I may have given in to some of my attraction yesterday, but that has nothing to do with my moving in with her. He can't know that, though. I let him think I'm lusting for the pop star. Which I'm not. Not actually. Well, yeah, a little bit...

Forget it.

"I'll pay rent until you find a new roommate." I offer, trying to soften the blow of my sudden departure. I just told him last night. He was so tired from working a double shift that he barely registered the fact that I told him Brianna and I were a thing and I was moving in with her.

But this morning has been a different story.

"Tell me again how this all happened. I mean, she could literally have anyone, so how in the hell did you score that?"

I hate his question. Hate it. He seems to ask the questions that piss me off the most. "Not much to tell. We met, there was a spark, we got to know each other better and then, stuff happened. I don't know, it just feels right." I get a sick feeling in my stomach as I talk. Because the part that's messing with me the most is that nothing I said was a lie. All of that happened, at least on my part.

Shit!

"Okay, yeah, I bet you two just hit it off and you're exactly her type. Sure. But listen, I'm not gonna go looking for a new roommate right away. Just in case, you know? This thing could blow up in your face as fast as it started. Boom." Jacob makes a fist then pops his fingers open, emphasizing the explosion in my future. Then he palms a handful of orange chips, shoving them into his mouth and chomping down loudly as he stares at me pointedly, never losing eye contact.

If I wasn't so torn up about the way I'm leaving, I would laugh. Instead I just shake my head and return to my packing. If that's what you could call it. "Okay, I guess that's fine. I'll pay for however long you need me to." It's the least I can do for leaving so suddenly. And I don't want to admit he's right, but he is. This thing could go sideways pretty fast and then I'd be SOL.

"Damn straight. So, is she picking you up? Or..."Jacob looks down as he asks.

It's my turn to scoff at him. Fishing to meet the pop star? After the way he's just lit me up over falling for her, or fake falling for her I guess, it's pretty humorous that he still wants to meet her.