24 - Ride Along

I extend my arms, hands clasped together, as Brianna places her foot in my open palms. Her Carmel suede boots are smooth in my hand. She looks every bit the part of a cowgirl today. Her hair in a braid, red flannel top paired with dark washed slim jeans and a black down jacket with a fur trimmed hood, yeah it does something to me when I look at her too long. With a smooth motion, Brianna lifts herself up and over the saddle, dropping into place on the horse.

"I can't believe this! It's been so long since I was on a horse!" Brianna's voice displays all of her emotion. She gives a little squeal, not too loud to bother Bonnie, the horse I prepared for her, as she leans forward to wrap her arms around Bonnie's neck. "I think I love this horse," she whispers. "I love you, Bonnie."

Why the hell am I jealous of a horse?

Instead of commenting, I just laugh. It's nervous laughter, though. I'm not sure how this day will go but I've basically put everything into this plan. If it goes badly, I don't think I'll be able to recover from it. I mount my own horse, Clyde, because that's my dad's sense of humor, and pull on the reigns to turn him toward the gate.

I click my tongue, signaling to Clyde that it's time to go. It feels so foreign. It's been so long since I've been on a horse, I hope my awkwardness doesn't show too much.

"How long has it been since you've ridden?" I ask Brianna to take any focus off of me.

"I think I was fourteen. As soon as Logan got his claws on me, all of the fun was gone."

"You don't find singing fun?"

Brianna is quiet for a moment. Our horses are side by side as we're rounding the stables, heading out to the pasture. "It used to be fun. At first that's all I wanted to do anyway, so I didn't notice all of the other things I was giving up. But once Logan had total control, I was miserable."

I think I can understand how she felt. Feeling like I would be stuck on the ranch my entire life was miserable, too. It wasn't until I had the opportunity to model that I felt like I had options. But we know how well that worked out.

At least it led me to Brianna.

"Well, we're here now. And you're free again. What do you think?" My last words are accompanied by the panoramic view of our pasture as we pass the trees near the stable. I slow the horses to take it all in. It really is a breathtaking morning, and as I hoped, the slight steam mixed with the glow of the early morning light is pretty magical. Brianna takes in a deep breath, clearly appreciating the scene before her.

"It's amazing. I wish every morning could be like this."

She's so appreciative it makes me feel guilty for taking it for granted all those years I lived here. "It is a nice way to wake up now that I'm visiting. When ranching was my job, not so much."

"Isn't it funny how the things we love become so despised when we're forced to do them every day?" Brianna comments as our horses resume their slow gait.

"I wouldn't say it's funny, more like depressing." I laugh a little even as I say her comment lacks humor. I watch her as she peers all around, absorbing everything in our path. The ranch is tame close to the house, but the further away from our home base you ride, the rockier the terrain and the thicker the growth.

"How far does your property extend?" Brianna seems to scan the horizon as she asks.

"It's a few hours ride by horse to make it to the back edge. Same with a jeep because of the terrain."

"A few hours? Sheesh!" Brianna's eyes are wide. I never think about how big the place is anymore.

"Are you ready for a full day on horseback?" I challenge her.