21 - Pillow Talk

Seeing Blind // Niall Horan and Maren Morris

"Can you pass the butter, please?"

My little niece, Brooke's tiny voice rings through the dinning room. Her chubby little hand reaches out to grab the butter from my Mom, who looks on her granddaughter with little hearts in her eyes.

"Not too much, now, Brooke." Mandy warns her daughter. Being the mother to twins has her constantly putting out kid fires, things like too much butter on a biscuit, but she's a complete natural. Motherhood suits her just like it does my mom. Both of them are the glue that keeps their families together.

"Hush, too much butter never hurt anyone," my mom says.

"Unless you think a heart attack doesn't hurt," Mandy mumbles.

"She's five." My mom's reply is clearly heard by all. My dad clears his throat, but not the tension in the room. Mandy and mom tend to clash on these types of things. But not usually when a guest is at the table.

"How long are you two in town for?" Mike asks, directing his question to Brianna and I. We've all been sitting at the table just long enough to pass the food around after the introductions and hugs I warned Brianna about. She seemed to be fine with everyone wrapping his or her arms around her, and no one made a big deal out of her being a celebrity, which I was worried about, to be honest. But when my twin niece and nephew, Brooke and Bryant, simultaneously hugged her, the glow on her face was priceless. I really loved watching her light up around those two, and she's still looking over the table at them with the sweetest smile.

"Not sure, actually," I answer Mike. "It depends on how a few things play out back home." I don't want to get into the investigation Clinton is currently conducting. I don't think Brianna wants to talk about it either.

Mike nods. "Any plans while you're here?"

I sneak a look at Brianna. "I've got some ideas." Actually I have several ideas of what to do while we're here, for however long that may be. But I don't want to tell her yet so I keep my thoughts to myself.

Brianna peeks over at me at my answer. One eyebrow rises in silent question. I just shrug my shoulders. I'm not giving her any hints.

"Well, we're glad to have you for as long as you'd like to stay," my mom says. "Now that only Elle is home, we have plenty of room. And I don't think she'll be back for a couple of days based on her last text. Sounds like they jetted off to Breckenridge for an impromptu trip."

Mandy just groans. "Looks like I'll have to take over the books for the ranch while she's gone. A little heads up would have been nice."

Mom doesn't say anything. She can't really. Elle tends to leave without much warning. She's the one with the accounting degree and handles all of the business aspects of the ranch now.

"This roast is delicious, Mrs. Marin. I haven't had anything so good in forever." Brianna expertly changes the subject. I reach under the table and squeeze her hand in thanks.

"Oh, call me Evelyn, dear. And thank you. It's a family recipe."

"It's my favorite dish that she makes." I admit to the table. It's everyone's favorite, really. Brianna smiles. She seems pretty comfortable now, but I'm sensing something else going on with her that I can't quite put my finger on. Some emotion that she's trying to hide.

"Well, now that their fingers are all buttery, I better get these two into the tub." Mandy wipes her hands and scoots away from the table. "Mike, help me walk them back home."