29 - Slaying Dragons

Wolves // One Direction

We finished our pie while spilling our guts to my mom and sisters. Brianna told them the entire story, including how she'd hired me, then fell for me. It was awkward being in the room while Bree told them everything, having my mom and sisters all doe-eyed over our love story. But I couldn't help watching Brianna with pride, hearing how she spoke about us.

It felt amazing. We didn't have to pretend or hide what was happening and honestly it was a relief.

"Okay, now that I'm about to go into a sugar coma, let's get started on this plan," I tell Brianna as we walk to the back room and settle into the couch. She doesn't hesitate to snuggle next to me. My arm pulls her close and her head leans against my chest.

"I still don't have any idea what the plan even is. But sure, let's do this." Brianna sounds so much calmer now that we've worked through the drama. Just thinking about what almost happened makes me want to get Char on the phone and tell her what I really think of her advice. But first I have something more important to do.

"I've recruited Elle to help out. She's making a phone call to someone that can settle the tabloids down. Time to clap back, babe, and Colleen is the one to help us do it."

Brianna sits straight up. "What are you talking about? How will Colleen help us?" She doesn't sound upset, which is good because I wasn't sure how she'd react.

"The media had painted the whole thing as sleezy. So what if the three of us-- you, me, and Colleen-- have a nice dinner together in town where people can see. It will get out that there's not a torrid affair and we all get along just fine. Elle is calling her now."

Brianna just stares at me for a second, eyebrows wrinkled in confusion. The silence stretches while she's thinking it through. "I've got an even better idea." Her face lights up. I love it.

"And that would be?" I ask as I pull her a little closer.

"Selfies while we're at dinner. I'll post them all over social media with the hashtag #reunited." The look on her face is priceless, like she's finally got the upper hand with those vultures. "Do you think I can convince Colleen to be my special guest at the Diva Tribute?"

"Are you still doing that? It's tomorrow night, Bree."

She just nods. "I'm done hiding out. I want to walk in there with you on my arm and show them they didn't break us. With Clinton there, no one will get close enough to even touch me." Her little casual shrug at the end of her speech makes me smile.

"Hot damn, Bree. I think that might be the sexiest thing you've ever said." I laugh and hug her tight.

Elle pops in just as I'm going in for a kiss. "Colleen's in. She said she felt really bad about all of the drama and rumors so she's totally up to mess with their story. I told her to come by and we can all ride to the restaurant together."

"How did you weasel into our dinner plans?" I ask my sneaky sister.

"Who do you think is going to snap all of the pictures and post them all over the internet? Duh." Elle shakes her head and steps back into her lair or wherever it is she just came from.

"She has a point." Brianna shrugs again. "It can't hurt to have a bunch of evidence, so no big deal. Plus, I like her."

My head whips over to face her. "You do? But she's such a fangirl. Doesn't it bother you?"

"Not really. She's just being herself, and actually the fangirl thing calmed down as soon as we started talking about you." Brianna winks. "She still can't believe I'm with her little brother."