Behind The Scenes

Welcome to my semi-creative writing process! I LOVE when I get a behind-the-scenes look at a movie or band, so I like to include something similar for all of my full-length works. What follows is a little insight into how Diva developed.

The Cliche That Started It All-

Fake dating is a super common theme, especially here on Wattpad. I wanted to have a fake date situation that wasn't as simple as making an ex jealous or making the shy girl popular. My first plot idea was more from Brianna's point of view, and she was the one who fell in love with Zack and had to figure out if their chemistry was real or just for show.

I kept that in mind as I switched POVs to Zack. I felt like the story would be stronger from his perspective, BUT my little secret was the original plot. Brianna was in love with him from day one but too unsure of his feelings to make a move.

Because the main trope was pretty cliche, I just decided to roll with it, add a loud BFF, a goofy roommate, a serious cop, the bitchy receptionist and the slimy ex-manager.

Plotting Is No Walk In The Park-

Secret confession: originally there WAS going to be a crazed stalker that was going to make an attempted attack on Brianna at the Diva Tribute. Zack was going to have the freeze out for several chapters due to his cheating scandal but show up to save the day and declare his love.

Back while writing the fan event to launch the video, the entire plot changed. I decided to have the break in rather then a crazed fan at that event, which led to a chain reaction for the rest of the stalking plot.

Little by little, the sting operation became the new climax, and I feel pretty happy with the outcome! And there was no way I could put Zack through four chapters of heartache!

Title Dilemmas -

I had the HARDEST time coming up with a title for this one! At first, the only thing I could think of was "My Bodyguard Boyfriend" which was literally terrible and I knew it. "Dating Mr. Dangerous" was another title that came about, equally awful.

But once the POV shifted to Zack, the title needed to reflect that. So Dating the Diva became the official working title, which I planned to change when I thought of a better one. That never happened so Diva it is. Unless any of you have a brilliant title idea? Then I could query with a kick ass title too!

Update: of course you've seen the new title, Not Another Diva, which is book one in the Not Another Hollywood story series.

Casting Was As Tough As the Title -

Hoo boy, coming up with a cast was no fun. I found those firsts two images which seemed like perfect fits, but never found more of either model. That makes it difficult for aesthetics at first. But I abandoned the idea of the perfect Bree and just started using blondes that seemed diva-ish.

Thank goodness for the Kissing Booth! Once I saw how perfect Jacob Elordi was for Zack, he was the new dude. Sorry old dude, you're fired.

Music Leads The Way-

Except in this case, it followed. You know that I was planning a diva playlist, but once again, that was originally when it was in Bree's POV. Hearing Niall sing live at the Greek completely brought Zack's voice to life. I felt him in every line and lyric that night. His duet with Marin Morris, live on stage, gave me goosebumps and the rest of the summer I listened to Flicker on repeat, seeing Zack and Bree in my mind every time.

THANK YOU FOR READING!!! I LOVE YOU ALL FOR BEING HERE! Join Me soon (like starting next Saturday!) for a teen heartache to romance, Queen of the Headphone Zombies, including a kick butt playlist, humor, romance, and a duel POV between Zoe and Emerson, being co-written with Catrina Burgess but posting on my profile. A sneak peek is now published!

And if you're in the mood for a horror-romance, check out My Bloody Valentine now posting on catrinaburgess  profile. It takes the stalker thing to the next level!

If I could dedicate this story to Niall Horan, I would. I'm so grateful for his music and his style! It's the perfect compliment to this story. And in case you forgot, or wanted to see the whole playlist in one place, here it is!

Playlist

On The Loose// Niall Horan

Fire Away// Niall Horan

Flicker//Niall Horan

Since We're Alone// Niall Horan

Paper Houses// Niall Horan

I Won't Back Down// Tom Petty (Niall Horan Cover)

So Long// Niall Horan

Seeing Blind// Niall Horan & Marin Morris

The Middle// Marin Morris

Slow Hands// Niall Horan

The Tide// Niall Horan

Wolves// One Direction

Ain't No Mountain High Enough// Trap Remix

Once again, here is Zack and Bree's theme song, Since We're Alone: