27 - The Hard Way

A/N - in case you missed it, there is a bonus chapter posted on my profile!! Chapter 26 is in its own little book, Dating The Diva - Bonus Chapter, and features Brianna's POV. It's not too graphic but it is more heated between the two of them.

If you choose not to read it, the flow of the story will not be effected. Just continue to this chapter and keep going!

^^^^^

The Tide// Niall Horan

When I wake up next to Brianna, I'm shocked to see bright sunlight breaking through the curtains. It's late in the afternoon, the sun getting ready to go down, and we're still in the cabin. I didn't want to let her go after our confessions. After being that close to her. I needed to stay in our bubble a little longer, trying to hold on to every moment we had alone. She didn't object, so here we are still wrapped up in each other.

My arms are around her as she presses against my stomach, spooning me. I can't get enough. I lean in and smell her hair, which I also can't get enough of. The motion seems to stir her. Brianna simultaneously twists around while stretching her arms above her head, then bringing them down to cuff my neck, caging me in.

God, I love this woman. My lips are on hers for half a second until she pulls back, startled.

"What time is it?" Her voice shocked, her eyes looking through the window.

"Near sunset." I kiss her cheek. "We'll have to stay the night and ride back in the morning." I've never been so excited to be stranded out in the back pastures before.

"But...but...everyone will wonder what happened to us!"

It's cute that she's worried that everyone will worry. "No, they'll realize we got caught in the storm and found the cabin for shelter. Happens all the time." I nuzzle her neck, which causes a little giggle. Score.

"Oh. Are you sure?" she manages to ask between giggles.

"Yup." I silence her concerns with my lips. Enough talk.

***

The ride back to the main house is not filled with the same energy as yesterday. I'm sad to be leaving our privacy behind, but we need to get back to the real world.

"Are you okay?" I ask, wondering how she's doing with the newness of everything between us. We've made declarations, claimed each other. I have no regrets, but I'm worried she does.

Brianna looks over at me with complete peace and contentment on her face. "I'm fine. More than fine, actually. I'm happy, Zack." And I can see it, sparkling in her eyes. She's breathtaking.

"I'm happy, too, baby." On horseback it's more difficult to grasp her hand, but I manage to do it.

"No one has ever called me that." Brianna's got the biggest smile on her face, almost laughing.

"No one? Really?" That shocks me. It seems like a go-to nickname for a girlfriend. But then I remember how many of her relationships had been genuine. None. So it makes sense that none of those assholes would refer to her as their baby.

"Nope. No one." Her head swings back and forth for emphasis. "But I'm actually glad because now when you say it, it actually means something."

I smile at that, because it does mean something. "I'm glad too...baby."

We both laugh and continue our slow gait toward the house. After a few hours of riding, the house comes into view. We stable our horses and go inside. I can tell Brianna is nervous, probably worried that my mom will scold us for being gone so long.