12 - Guard Dog

Mirrors // Niall Horan

The tenth floor opens up in front of me. I haven't been on this floor since signing the paperwork with Char right after I agreed to be Bree's bodyguard. I mean her boyfriend. I'm certainly not as nervous as I was that day. Freaking shitting bricks. But I held it together, even when approaching Rachel, the receptionist.

The one eyeing me right this very second as I'm walking through Pink's doors.

Dang, does that woman ever crack a smile? She's like a guard dog or something. I've met black belts on the mat less intimidating then her. I swallow hard and clear my throat before speaking. I really don't need my voice to crack. She's the type who'd pounce the second she smelled my weakness.

"Hey, Rachel." I manage to say it with false confidence. I really just want to be able to walk right past her without a word, but I have a feeling that wouldn't go over too well with her pit bull-like disposition.

"Good afternoon." I see her eyes roll slightly. She's knows I can see it, too. "Hasn't she gotten rid of you yet?" Rachel manages to say the words without looking at me, but the tone says it all.  I'm not her favorite person.

Yeah, she's not mine either.

"Nope. Dropped Bree off this morning so she can work on editing. Now I'm here to pick her up."

Take that, ice queen.

"Watch yourself around her. A star like her tends to bring out the psychos. Maybe that black belt will come in handy after all."

I lean against the counter separating us and glare at her. "Why? Is she not safe here? I thought this building was secured."

I know it is. I've spoken with Char about the guards on the main floor. She instructed them to hold anyone trying to get to the tenth floor without her clearance. I don't even bother to address the fact Rachel knows as much about me as she does. Anyone who goes to a grocery store has seen the headlines with my name in them. I'm practically a household name.

This is the safest place for Brianna to be, and she needed some time in editing without me breathing down her neck. Not that I've been breathing down her neck, but it's been a couple of weeks now, and other then when she locks herself in her room to write, we've been together constantly. Mostly boring work related meetings and things of that nature, not dates.

Until today, that is.

"Hmph."

Rachel literally huffs back at me. Which tells me I've won this round. I don't bother saying any more as I stroll past. And yes, I'm strutting. I'm gloating. So what?

The lounge is up ahead as I walk down the hallway. Light from the large bank of windows is the only illumination, but the sun is at the perfect position to fill the room with a slight pink hue. I know the couches are white, but right now they've got that same pink color practically glowing across the cushions.

And Brianna is sprawled across the biggest couch in the middle of the room just gazing out the windows. She seems to be off in her own world of thoughts. I find her like this every once in a while now. On the deck or the living room of her house, places she told me she wants to spend more time. She has been, and suddenly I'm really happy that she is. But even more, I want to know why. What made the difference? Was it me?

"Hey," I call softly, not wanting to startle her and knowing that it's a real possibility with her current circumstances. But also, I'm hesitant to pull her out of whatever thoughts she's having. She looks so peaceful. Actually, she looks almost happy. Even when she gives me the privilege of her full smile, I've never gotten the sense that she is truly happy.