32 - Dating My Diva

The lights go down and a pulse of energy moves through the audience. My heart is hammering in my chest as I sit on the edge of my seat waiting for Brianna's introduction. I've never seen her perform live, although once her tour starts it will be a nearly nightly event. My own anticipation is off the charts. I can't imagine how she must be feeling right now.

We had arrived together, once again walking the red carpet arm in arm. Reporters blasted us with questions about Colleen and our trip to my family's ranch, but neither one of us answered a single one. We just smiled as we were blinded by flashes and ducked into the theater as soon as possible.

Brianna looked like a goddess earlier. She'd worn a form fitting red dress, my favorite color on her, with her hair in a messy up-do. I guess the messy bun look works with the red carpet now-a-days. I'm not complaining.

Once we got past security, courtesy of the venue now that Logan is in custody, Brianna kissed me on the cheek and dashed away to prepare for her set. Clinton and the Feds had given control of the theater back to the organizers of the event after the sting was complete. They, in turn, scrambled to finish preparations. Char escorted me to the VIP box she'd prepared for our party. Elle and Colleen were already seated and bouncing with nervous energy. The two of them together are like a small hurricane so I'm already exhausted before the show has even started. 

Which it is now about to do.

The deep voice of the master of ceremonies, some radio host I don't listen to, fills the entire theater as Brianna is introduced.

"Paying tribute to the queen of all Diva's, Diana Ross, here is everyone's sweetheart, Brianna Royce!"

The music swells to a song that's familiar, but this version is totally Brianna, kind of the perfect mix of old and new. It's a combination of symphony orchestra and a DJ remix, but I have to admit the sound is perfect.

The lights had been twinkling throughout the stage, flashing all over like the little stars, now getting brighter, finally settling on Brianna standing towards the rear of the stage.

She's breathtaking. My heart literally constricts, clenching with awe at my girl. Standing there for everyone to see, she looks just off stage and up into our VIP box, her eyes finding mine. Brianna raises her lips and blows me a kiss. I pull the whipped boyfriend move of actually catching it, which I know I'm about to get railed on for by Clinton later. I could care less, however, because she just told the world she's with me one hundred percent.

Her long gown sparkles in silver beads, different then the dress she wore as we arrived, shimmering along her curves and hugging all the right places. It's sexy without revealing everything, bringing a sense of royalty to her entire presence. Finally, she starts the song and I recognize the classic chosen as a tribute to Diana Ross. And I now understand Brianna's desire to keep it as a surprise. It's our story, what we've just gone through to be together, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough."

The pride I have watching her, listening to her voice, is indescribable. This is the woman I love, the woman who loves me, singing the hell out of this song and I can't help the smile on my face. I feel a few eyes on me from down below. My seat at the edge of the box puts me a bit on display but for the first time in all of this, I could care less. The only person who matters is Brianna. That's who all of this was for, to see her smile again.

As she finishes her song, to a round of massive applause and a standing ovation, Brianna looks up at me once more. And the smile that I love, the one I know is genuine, fills her entire being. I've never been happier in my life.

***

I take a casual pose in the wings as I wait for Brianna to emerge from her dressing room. As soon as she finished her tribute, I had Char bring me back here to meet her. I want this girl on my arm for the rest of the night and it starts right now.