30 - Dirty Deeds

"I can't believe how well this worked!" I'm scrolling through my phone, reading all of the headlines featuring our dinner party as we ride through the streets of L.A. to the concert venue. The pictures Elle took make it seem like some small town fan caught us in public then sold the images to the highest bidder. We were laughing, talking and eating in most of them. There was also no shortage of public affection between Brianna and I. Elle caught every love-struck smile we exchanged and a few kisses as well.

But the drop-the-mic moment was Brianna's selfie of the three of us. She posted it while we were at dinner with her hashtag and the dang thing went viral almost instantly. Brianna hadn't been on social media since we started dating so her followers went nuts. The timing of her post and Elle's email containing the best photos of the night couldn't have been better. With everyone buzzing about our mini reunion, the media pounced on the story.

"It's literally on every site. Even the mainstream media has coverage of your posts." I say as I continue tapping on the links.

"Social Media can sink ships...or right them." Brianna says as she leans in to see the headlines. "And when a typically media-silent celebrity responds to the rumors—bam." She points to one headline and the two of us laugh.

POP STAR TURNS A DIRTY RUMOR INTO A THREESOME

I read it out loud to the car to everyone's laughter. Colleen, Elle, Clinton, Brianna and myself are all on our way to the rehearsal for the Diva Tribute being taped tonight. Clinton told us as soon as we landed that there would be extra security throughout the event so I was pretty relaxed. Brianna and I are sitting together in the back of the limo with our hands laced and snuggled close. I think it's the first time I've felt Brianna this calm while we've been in L.A. Which is also a sign that getting out of town was the best idea I could have had. I'm so glad I went with my instincts.

"Thanks so much for bringing me along," Colleen says as she peers out the window watching the city streak by. "I've never been to California."

Brianna smiles. "I'm glad you came. Since it's your first trip, we'll have to do it right. My schedule should be pretty clear for the next week. I had already booked a break before the tour starts."

Colleen whips her head around. "Are you serious? I can't ask you to do that, though. That's too much."

Brianna shrugs. "Honestly, it's as much for me as it is for you. I've lived here for almost six years and still haven't seen most of the sights. Your visit is the perfect excuse to finally be a tourist."

I'm still in awe of how comfortable she seems. It's like an entirely new girl. I give her a squeeze and a kiss on the side of her head as she and Colleen make plans for all of the fun we're about to have. Then I shift in my seat to lean closer to Clinton

I hate to end the joyful ride with a dark question, but I need to talk to Clinton about the state of the investigation. He gave me a look when we got off the plane that made me wonder what he's found out. So rather than pose my curiosity to the entire group, I bend his ear a bit for some privacy.

"What do you have so far on the Rachel situation?" I speak quietly, just to Clinton. But I'm completely nervous when he turns to me with a dark look and a slight shake of his head. Why doesn't he want to have this conversation in the closed quarters of the car? One would think it's the perfect, private location to divulge sensitive information. I question him silently, and then he sifts his gaze to where Brianna is sitting.

Oh. He doesn't want her to hear. Shit, this could be really upsetting to her, which means it could be really bad. I sit back in my seat, putting my arm around Brianna's shoulder, determined to get her through whatever is going on.