1

The first day of high school would be no problem for me. It would be just like every day this year I knew it would be. I'd listen to my music every chance I got to block out all the mean comments people would say about me. I would sit alone every lunch break because of my lack of friends. I never really cared for anyone tho.

I heard a knock on my door and turn my head to see my sister. Chloe was the most popular girl in our school or that's what she's told me. That didn't really matter to me she knows not to expect much from me. I wouldn't be her shadow. No one would know that we were sisters because she knew not to tell anyone.

"Mom says breakfast is ready. Car leaves in 15 with or without you," she says walk down the hall to the kitchen. Of course, my mother couldn't tell me in person she never talked to me anyway. I pull on a gray hoodie and some black tights. I brush my hair and grab my headphones and phone from off my dresser.

I grab my bag and an apple on the way out. My mom's car was still in the driver way. I put my headphones on quickly and make my way over to her car. I open the back door to her car and turn on my music. The first song to play was Imagine dragons warriors. One of the old songs that I play to make me feel badass.

I feel my phone vibrate. *text from Chloe*

Chloe: I forgot to tell u the hs has a music program u should join

me: idk

Chloe: Sign up outside music room you have until Friday

Maybe joining would be a bad idea? Could I make some friends? Maybe not. My mom had stopped the car in front of the school I get out and turn my music up a little. I look at my classes I had English first but that class didn't start for another twenty minutes so I went to go find my locker. I found my locker and unpacked all my books into it.

I grab my English textbook and shut my locker. I turn on my phone to find I had five minutes to get to class. I walk down the hall into my English classroom. I walk to the back of the class and take a seat waiting for the teacher.

A few people were already there. A girl chewing gum in the third row, another girl fussing over her skirt in the first row, and a boy one-row in front of me. He had cute floppy hair and eyes brown eyes that sparkled like a million diamonds.

He shyly waves at me and I blush while waving back at him. No one ever showed any sign of noticing me let alone waving at me. He smiled kindly and I return the smile. He gets up and moves to the seat next to me.

My cheeks burned red from someone making an effort to actually sit next to me. Then he does something I'll never forget. He passes me a note.

"Hey I'm Grayson I'm new here and I don't have any friends here yet could we be friends?" I look up at him and smile. I quickly write back "Well Grayson today's your lucky day. I don't have any friends either. I'm Stella FYI." and slip the letter back to him. He grins at the note then writes something else.

He passes me the note asking "Could we sit together at lunch" I look up at him in shock. He really did want to be my friend. I nod my head happily.

The teacher walks in and I quickly take off my headphones to keep him from seeing them in case he took them from me. "Well, class I hope you like the spot you're in now cause that will be your spot for the rest of the semester." I turn to Grayson and smile at him. I could finally sit next to someone I knew.

The next period I didn't have with Grayson which sucked. It went back painfully slow. Lunch came and I almost ran to the cafe. I found Grayson sitting at a table by himself. I sit down on the opposite side of the table. He looks up when I sit down.

"I almost thought you weren't going to show." He giggles biting into a carrot. "I'm not going to sit alone like a loser," I say plainly opening my lunch. "Well, I don't plan on making any more friends so we can sit together every day!" He smiles thinking about it. "I don't know you seem super cute and sweet I'm sure you'll make new friends," I say playing with my food. Grayson looks hurt for a second then he looks cheerful again "People don't seem to like me very much. Plus you don't have to worry about me leaving you."

That felt good for a second until it stung. Everyone left me at one point or another he would when he realized how much of a nerd I am. "Thanks, Grayson that means a lot to me," I say half meaning it. The bell rings and I race off to my next class.

AFTER SCHOOL

When I got home I poured out the kindness of a friend into a song. I picked up my guitar and started to work out the tone to go with my song.

Chloe walks into my room with her phone in her hand. "Could you not play I'm on the phone." She says before walking away. I grab my backpack and fill it with my homework, songbook, and pencil case. I put my bag on my back and carry my guitar into the kitchen. I leave a quick note to my mom telling her where I was and left.

When I got to my park it was empty as normal. I picked up my guitar and started to play one of my old songs. It was about how lonely I felt all the time. I wrote it last year when my mom first stopped talking to me. When I finish the song I hear someone clap from behind me.

I jump a little and turn around to see Grayson leaning on a tree smiling at me. He walks over and sits down across from me. I grab my songbook so he wouldn't read it. "I love your song but maybe you can improve it a little?" He motions with his hands if he could use my guitar. I had it over to him. "If you play this" He played an upbeat tone "Your song wouldn't sound so sad. Why did you make it like that?" He asked curiosity sparking in his eyes.

I thought for a second wondering if I should tell me the story or not. If he was going to leave me it may as well be now so it doesn't hurt as much. "Well almost a year ago my dad died of a heart attack shortly after that I cut everyone out of my life. I blocked people by listening to music I never wanted someone to leave me again. My mother has stopped talking to me. I tried to keep my sister and mom in. They pushed me away even more. This song is about being alone." I confess.

Grayson gets up and walks away. I hang my head knowing full well he wouldn't be coming back. He would never talk to me again which was okay. I picked up my guitar again and started playing my song about our friendship.

He sits down in front of me and hands me a piece of paper. It had the lyrics to my alone song but he had changed it so it sounded like I was alone until I had found someone. Grayson took my guitar from me and started playing my song with his changes. It sounded even better than my version. "Wow, I love it! Thanks, Grayson." I saying getting up to sit next to him. He hugs me.

"Like I said before I won't leave you." He says kindly I smile at him. "I guess I should post this to my youtube channel would you be my cameraman?" I ask moving away from him to grab my guitar. "It would be an honor!" He says bowing his head. I giggle and hand him my phone.

When he gives me the thumbs up that he was rolling I play the song with Grayson's changing. When I finish I add "Big shout out to my friend Grayson who helped me with this song." Then wave signaling I was done. Grayson hands me back my phone and I upload it.

"Well, maybe this one will be my big hit one day." I giggle as he grabs both my hands. "I think one day you'll be famous."

Ten reads to next chapter