Chapter Sixteen: Who does he think he is?

I'm not the type of person to hold a grudge, so I let what happened with Grant pass easily- luckily my emotions were in check when he confronted me. No red marks were seen damaging his pretty little face.

Lots of people were relieved by that.

I'm not sure why- I thought bruises and fighting was supposed to be deemed hot.

Not that I understand that logic anyway.

It's been a few days since then and I've been bored stiff waiting for an impending attack. Nothing has happened and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly disappointed by it.

I miss tormenting him.

Ah, I still haven't grasped onto the good person I'm supposed to be.

Oh well.

"Kendall, I have to nip to the shop, can you take Lily and Caleb to the park while I go?" my mum asks, folding up the newspaper she was reading. I pull myself off the sofa and nod at her.

"Sure," I reply, reaching down for Caleb who's been clung to my foot like a sloth for the past hour. "C'mere cheeky," I coo, holding him close to my chest. He gurgles appreciatively and tries to kiss me on the cheek.

I laugh lightly as his lips brush my skin and hold him against me for a moment. I try to appreciate these rare moments when my little brother isn't screaming the house down or mashing food into my hair. Dropping him on the floor, I bend down to his height, "Little man, go get your shoes and coat on we're going to the park." Caleb squeals in response and begins jumping up and down like a maniac shouting 'park' as loud as possible.

Lily starts babbling and trying to jump too- though she has no idea what going on. My little sister toddles over from her toys and smiles widely at me, showing her tiny teeth. I stand up off the sofa and pick her up, "Call me when you're done and we'll head on back. Take as long as you need- even book yourself a Pedi if you really want."

My mum smiles at me before she too stands up to plant a kiss on Lily's head. "Thanks Kendall," she says as Caleb zooms past, his coat flying behind him. My mum catches him swiftly before he can damaged anything and zips up his jacket and shoes before leaving a soft kiss on his cheek.

"You guys have fun!" she smiles widely at us; it's the first real smile she has given us for so long- her dark eyes are bright with happiness and almost relief.

We file out into the hallway and I quickly grab Lily's buggy from our shoe cupboard. She gurgles to herself as I tie up her coat; when I sit her in the pushchair she tries to pull off the shoes on her tiny feet. "Park!" Caleb shouts again and Lily echoes his words until they're both singing it over and over again in a symphony of half-words and babbles.

I take Caleb's hand in mine as my mum opens the door for us. "Say bye to mummy," I say and both children gargles their goodbyes.

Before we get outside, my mum hands me a rucksack. "It's got everything you need in it," she says, her smile dissolving into worry. I sling it onto the pushchair and grab the keys from her hand.

"We'll be fine mum," I say, smiling down at Caleb who has taken a fancy to waving at everyone he sees- not that there are many people down our road. I think he might be waving at the dustbins instead.

Each to their own.

My mum shuts the door gently as to not disrupt Lily who's rather settled in her pushchair. We start off down the road toward the park; Caleb tightens his hand in my grip and begins swinging on my arm. "Kee Kee who's that?" he asks, pointing at a passer-bye. She moves past us quickly, avoiding eye contact with me or my brother.