Chapter Twenty Seven: Can I have a black coffee and a slice of you?

The gentle ding of the cafe bell notifies me of a customer. I rub my hands in my apron and turn around to the counter. I don't bother lifting my eyes to face them, instead I grip the cool counter and pull a small smile onto my face.

"Hi, welcome to The Coffee Shop, how can I help you today?" I ask as the gentle thud of feet stops in front of me.

"Can I have a black coffee and a slice of you?"

I let my gaze lift from the counter. It lands on Brody Adams causing me to eye roll and a groan at him and his pathetic line.

His eyes rake over me in approval and I shudder in disgust. "Really discreet aren't you Brody?" I mumble, setting up the coffee machine.

The cafe is unusually quiet today so its just me and Brody. He's the only person stupid enough to travel out in the cold at six in the evening.

"Look Kendall, there's no point me denying that I still like you. You are hot. Just let me know when your done with fuck boy Grant so we can shag."

For a second, I think about vomiting in his coffee. But The Coffee Shop has a really high food hygiene rating and I don't want to let Tony down in any way.

"No offence Brody, but I'm not interested in a guy who waxes his uni-brow."

Brody stares at me blankly for a moment, his tiny brain trying to understand my insult. I scoff and hand his his coffee.

I don't bother with the slice of me.

He doesn't deserve it.

"Babe, what's wrong with you? Why are you being so harsh all of a sudden?"

I swear this guy actually lives under a rock. I'm not sure how he's never noticed that I have serious anger problems.

I am an incredibly salty person.

Especially when Brody Adams is involved.

"Maybe it's because you slept with Serena when we were going out. Or the fact that you kissed Lily Barnet or the fact that everywhere I go your following me like some creepy stalker!" I shout, pushing his coffee angrily towards him. "Leave me alone Brody."

He stays silent for a while before a huge smile glides onto his face. I groan in frustration and turn away from him. "You're one feisty girl, Kendall."

I can hear his wink from over here.

Why won't he leave me alone?

"Brody I seriously can't deal with you anymore. You're lame line is not going to make me want to date you again. I'm with someone," I mumble, a blush rising up my cheeks as I think of Grant.

I'm getting too used to saying he's mine.

"What that rich boy Grant? C'mon babe, I thought you were with him to get over me."

I roll my eyes for what seems like the hundredth time this evening and turn on my heel to face Brody. His smirk has dropped off his face and for once in his life he seems genuinely disappointed. I gulp back my guilt and let my cheeks cool down. My hands grip the counter tight, my knuckles turning white.

"I'm with him because," I take a deep breath. I don't know what to say. Is it even about a bet anymore because it doesn't feel like it. "I like him. I really like him."

"Your relationship came out of the blue considering you were dating that Kent dude not that long ago."

I scoff, my heart pounding heavily in my chest.

You're spinning yourself a bit of a web here K.

"Kent was my boyfriend. But we just didn't work. Grant...he kind of took me by surprise."

I'm not even lying anymore.

I thought I'd fall for Kent.

I could see myself falling for Kent.

But I realise now, he's the safe guy. The one you'd settle down with. The one your parents would love. The one you know you should be with.

But for once in my life, I want a risk.

"He's a bad guy Kendall. He sleeps around. Only the other week did he hit on Serena," he retorts angrily.

I try to breathe, not wanting to allow my anger to get the better of me. Surely Grant wouldn't do that, right?

My mind flits back to his lips on that girls. His hands all over her. Their bodies pressed close.

No.

"Says you Brody. You can't keep it in your pants!" I shout, pushing his coffee of the counter with a cry of fury.

I shouldn't be getting upset about this. Brody is a manipulate compulsive liar.

"And for the record, the only reason I dated you is because Maria dared me to. We had a little competition: how many boys could I get with."

Brody tries to reach out to grab my arm, an apologetic look flashing across his face. I shove him away, anger pulsing through me. "Don't touch me!"

He tries again, "Kendall I'm–"

A loud booming voice interrupts us causing Brody to instantly pull away. "What the fuck is going on here?"

In all the time I have known him, my boss has never once swore. My eyes wander over to Tony– his hands are clenched and he's staring at Brody as if he wants to strangle him with his bare hands.

Tony's not exactly a big man and Brody is six foot of pure muscle but I still catch the latter shaking and shivering in fear.

A smirk creeps it's way onto my lips as Tony winks at me. "How dare you disrespect my staff! Get out!" his voice is low, a warning.

Brody looks between me and Tony before slipping out of the shop, the gentle ding of the bell being the only reminder he came in at all.

"Kendall," Tony sighs, tutting lightly towards the door. "I'm not gonna ask what happened but can you clean up this mess?"

I nod, my head dipping as I reach into the cupboard under the counter. "And then you can go, Kendall."

As quickly as I can, I sweep away the broken china and clean the spilled coffee. When I've finished, I grab my coat and bag from the staffroom and head towards the door.

"Kendall," Tony says and I turn around. He motions for me to come forward; I comply and meet him at the counter.

Tony places a freshly made hot chocolate into my hands with a smile. "Don't let him get to you. Don't believe everything everyone tells you."

I nod, taking a sip from the delicious beverage. "Thank you, Tony." I motion to the hot drink.

Thank you for everything.

-*-

Hello my lovely readers!

Thank you so much for all your support on this book so far it means a lot to me. If you enjoyed this chapter then please give this a vote and comment and share with everyone you know. It would mean so much if we could get this book higher into the rankings!

What do you guys think of Brody now? Is he all he seems? Why do you think he's obsessed with Kendall?

Comment and tell me!

Best prediction gets a dedication?

Thank you all again.

Love,

Amber Rose x