Chapter 23

Gianluca's P.O.V.

     I watch as Fionia close her eyes and I swear, I feel a part of me break. "No." I whisper as I take in her state. "No. No. No. No! Listen to me Fionia!" I yell shaking her head. "Fionia? Nia?" My voice booms as she doesn't open her eyes.

     Groaning out in defeat, her last words repeat in my head as I begin to hyperventilate. "This is all my fault, why did I let this happen. I should have just gone after her. I should have—" Anger boils within me as I punch the wall next to me.

     "It's okay Luca. We all make mistakes." Massimo says, patting me on the back.

     "No, it's not okay Mass. I lost her twice. Twice! How can you lose the same girl twice?" Running my hand over my face, I sigh in annoyance while pulling out of his touch. "Don't people learn after the first time?"

     Mass hands me a small smile. "Some people take longer."

     "But—"

      Vince cut me off. "Listen, there's nothing we can do about the past but there is something you can do about the future. Now. Can you guys help me bring her to the basement's infirmary room." I nod my head without answering and lift her bridle style, following Vince to the basements infirmary room. Once in the room, I lay her down on the bed and watch as Vince hooks her up to different types of machines.

     "Where do I put the big guy?" Francesco asks, as he walks into the room with Massimo, attempting to hold my dad up. Vince doesn't look up, he points to the bed across the room as the boys nod their heads and walk towards the bed.

     Looking down at Fionia's limb body, tears brim my eyes as regret fills me. Everything went down hill the second I started this stupid game and it's all my fault. The hole in my chest grows as my eyes train over her pale and calm face. Nia's tears stain her face as her red puffy eyes match her puffy red cheeks. The fact alone that she cried over me, causing the feeling of being stabbed repeatedly in the heart suffocate me.

     I was the one who created this. Who made her cry. Who made her get injured. I manage to wipe all her tears away and run my finger down her cheek. "I'm so sorry Nia. It's all my fault that you're here." I whisper to her but mainly to myself. Pulling out the chair besides the bed, I intertwining our fingers. "Please forgive me." I beg, standing up and placing a soft kiss on her rosy lips.

***

     "Its been two and a half hours! She should be awake by now!" I yell at Vince.

     "I know that! But she's not waking up! She's really tired and her body has taken one too many hits all at once." Vince shouts back.

     "Vince." Gritting my teeth at him, I try to control my annoyance. "She's a fighter. I know my girl."

     Glaring at me, he crossed his arms over his chest. "Yes. That means your girl is trying to get some energy to fight you." I don't answer as my jaw clenches. I turn my attention to Fionia who's still lying down on the bed still asleep. Vince sighs pinching the bridge of his nose. "Sorry I took it too far."

     "You think!" Francesco chuckles from the other side of the room as he listens in on our very loud conversation.

     "You have to understand that once she wakes up, she won't be completely healed. She'll need to rest for at least two weeks. Her shoulder is badly injured and if she tears her stitches again, she will need surgery." Vince tells me and I nod. "What I'm trying to say is that you need to stop this game. It's either her health or your stupid game."

     "Trust me," I say looking down at Nia. "Once she wakes up it won't be me who's going to want to continue the game."

     "Then tell her no!"

     "Doesn't matter. She's a fighter." I sigh and run a finger up and down her right cheek. "She will always win. Even if that means breaking every bone in her body to do so. She will not rest until she wins and everything is right."

     Vince sighs and rubs his face. "Okay, but if she does want to play again, you better let her win."

     "You bet—"

     "I don't think so." Dad cuts me off as he walks into the room.

     "Why not?" Vince questions.

     "My son will not lose to some helpless princess. He will win. He's a winner."

     "But she injured." Vince states out the obvious.

     "Yes, and my son can use that as an advantage. Isn't that right Gianluca." Dad focuses his attention to me as I nod my head in defeat. "That's my boy. Now, you stay here and once she wakes up tell her that the game is still on and that she has ten minutes to get ready." He walks out the door, closing it behind him.

     "I swear—" I cut Vince off.

     "Don't worry, she's going to win. I'll go easy on her. I'll make it look as if I'm trying when I'm actually going to let her win." I look down at her and smile. "I'll always let her win."

***

Fionia's P.O.V.

     The sound of a heart monitor brings me out of the darkness as the bright lights in the room blind me. Squinting my eyes to adjust them to the harsh light, I groan feeling the sudden pain in my shoulder. "She's awake!" Someone yells making my head pound.

     Turning my head to the side, I see his sparkly chocolate brown eyes. "Hey beautiful." Gianluca smiles and cups my left cheek.

     "She's finally awake!" Francesco yells, running into the room with Vince and Massimo behind him.

     "Hey guys." I say in a groggy voice.

     "Ew, you sound like a dying frog." France says while scrunching his face.

      I giggle and clear my throat. "Thanks. I guess."

      "Here," Vince says handing me a glass of water. "Drink. You'll sound less dead." He chuckles at his own words.

     Taking the glass of water, I chug it down and sigh in relief. "Thanks."

     "There she is!" Francesco laughs. Smiling and shaking my head, I turn towards Gianluca who has been awfully quiet. Looking down at my hands to see that he locked our fingers together.

     My smile falls as I remember what I have to do. Pulling my hand out of his, I shoot him a hard glare. "I know what you're doing Luca. And I'm not backing down. We are completing the game." Luca smiles lightly at this as he stands. "You better leave now because in 10 minutes I will come and kick you ass."

     Luca laughs and shakes his head while turning towards the guys. "Told you she wouldn't back down." He looks at me and smirks. "A game you want, is a game you shall receive. I promise." He comes close and kisses my forehead. "See you out there." He then heads towards the door. What? Why did he just do that?

     Shaking my head, a smirk stretches across my face as I yell after him. "You better not go easy on me either!"

     "Don't count on it babe!" He shouts back making me chuckle and blush lightly.

     Looking down at my watch my eyes widen. 7:50. "Shit!" I yell.

      "Listen Nia," Vince says walking towards me. "Be careful with your arm. If you rip these stitches you will need surgery."

     "Don't worry about it Vee." I say getting out bed. "I'll be careful. I promise."

     "Okay, just eat something before you leave." He pleads as I nod my head and grab the plate of pizza next to my bed. Once done eating, I look down at my watch. 8:00pm. "Okay. Your ten minutes are up. He's probably ready." Vince says as he looks down at his watch.

     Nodding my head, I gently pull my backpack over my left shoulder and grab my bat. "We'll be watching you." Francesco says as I nod at him, walking out the door.